Mar 8
2011

Toasted Panini with Ham, Cheddar & Pepper Jelly Recipe

Toasted Panini with Ham, Cheddar, Pepper Jelly & Arugula Recipe

For many families, Sunday nights are traditionally the time for a big meal. Whenever my parents and I went to my grandparents’ home for dinner, the table was laid with roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, potatoes, and vegetables. As much as we looked forward to those meals, we were just as happy with the Sunday dinners we ate when it was just the three of us at home. It was always simple, light and easy – a bowl of soup, a fresh salad, or a toasted sandwich.

As an adult with my own family, I appreciate why my mum took the “light and tasty” route. After a weekend of soccer games, play dates and baking, pulling out the roasting pan is akin to dusting the blinds. For the record, dusting blinds is my least favorite household chore. My kids think mummy’s gone cuckoo when I tell them I would rather clean toilets than dust blinds. That would explain why our once-white blinds are now distinctly a few shades darker than white, while our toilets are…well…cleaner than that.

My point is that I like to keep it simple on Sundays. Whether it’s a brothy soup, such as Mediterranean Chicken, Bean & Pasta Soup or a protein-packed salad, such as this Mushroom, Caramelized Onion & Bean Spinach Salad, the goal is to keep prep work and clean-up to a minimum. This panini fits the bill. It follows the same formula as my favorite Turkey, Brie, Pear & Cherry Chipotle Panini – a healthy dose of meat, a sweet sauce with a kick, and plenty of oozing, melted cheese. It requires nothing more than a panini press or a hot frying pan. Now that’s my kind of Sunday night dinner.

Preheat panini press or large grill pan or skillet.

Cut ciabatta rolls in half crosswise.

HamJellyPanini1

HamJellyPanini2

Place the sandwiches on the panini maker or pan, working in batches if necessary. Close the panini press. If using a grill pan or skillet, place a brick, washed and wrapped in foil, on top of the sandwiches to emulate a panini press. When the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, remove the sandwiches from the press, cut in half, and serve immediately.

Toasted Panini with Ham, Cheddar & Pepper Jelly LS

Toasted Panini with Ham, Cheddar & Pepper Jelly

4 ciabatta rolls, preferably whole wheat
1/2 cup pepper jelly (should have sweet-spicy flavor)
6 oz. ham, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
3/4 cup (packed) arugula leaves

Preheat panini press or large grill pan or skillet.

Cut ciabatta rolls in half crosswise. Divide the pepper jelly evenly between the four rolls, spreading on top and bottom halves. Top the bottom of each roll with slices of ham, cheddar cheese and arugula. Lay the top of each roll over the fillings.

Serves 4.

1 Pegasuslegend March 9, 2011 at 2:38 am

Very elegant panni the color is awesome for a bruch… lovely Dara!

2 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 9, 2011 at 5:59 am

i heart paninis…they're so easy and delicious and versatile! i love the addition of the pepper jelly too :)

3 Pretend Chef March 9, 2011 at 6:44 am

I am giddy over the pepper jelly! I love trying new condiments and that sounds like a great addition to this sandwich. I miss having big family dinners but it is nice when we do get to sit down together and enjoy a meal. This would be perfect for itty bitty and I for lunches. Yummy!

4 Tickled Red March 9, 2011 at 7:05 am

Sandwich night is always one of our favorites. The boys like being able to design their own and I love adding pesto roasted potatoes for a side. I can not wait to add the pepper jelly to the mix…YUM!

5 Maria March 9, 2011 at 7:20 am

Love the flavors in this panini!

6 Jenny March 9, 2011 at 7:39 am

Loving this Dara! I am wishing I had all the ingredients right now!

7 EatLiveRun March 9, 2011 at 8:24 am

these look great! I've never had pepper jelly–it's intriguing me ;)

8 RecipeGirl March 9, 2011 at 8:56 am

ohhhh, hot pepper jelly tucked in there sounds great! I really need one of those panini presses!

9 A Thought For Food March 9, 2011 at 9:45 am

Great way to use the jam! Looks like quite the sandwich!

10 Lana @ Never Enough Thyme March 9, 2011 at 9:48 am

Sometimes there's just nothing like a good, warm substantial sandwich. Love the flavors in this one. And, I just posted another jam that would be really good in it as well!

11 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels March 9, 2011 at 10:02 am

Wow these look so full of flavor! I love the addition of hot pepper jelly, my mama just loves it. She would just adore this panini and so would I. :)

12 ravienomnoms March 9, 2011 at 10:10 am

Sunday was always a big meal day for my family too. That sandwich looks really really good

13 Explora Cuisine March 9, 2011 at 10:14 am

I'm not a sandwich lover, but it does look yummy :)

14 Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking March 9, 2011 at 10:42 am

I absolutely love making panini, and I love the flavors you used in yours. What a great addition with the pepper jelly, too… I have to get my hands on some of that! Beautiful photos, as always, too!

15 Sprinkled with Flour March 9, 2011 at 12:20 pm

What a great tradition to keep the Sunday meal simple:) I love the pepper jelly and all the layers look so delicious! Simple and delicious is always the best way to go:)

16 Jessica @ How Sweet March 9, 2011 at 12:39 pm

What a fabulous panini! My mouth is watering.

17 Belinda @zomppa March 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Love paninis, especially with pepper jelly!!

18 Diana Bauman March 9, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Beautiful photos and the flavors of the panini are great! You inspire me Dara!!

19 Ang March 9, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Never have I thought to put pepper jelly on a sandwich. I have a confession to make. Very often I take a scoop of cream cheese and pour pepper jelly over the top and scoop it up with wheat thins. FOR MY DINNER! I love it, and I love this idea.

20 katrina March 9, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Panini's are so tasty. I love the jam you used in this recipe. Delish!

21 Kankana March 9, 2011 at 6:39 pm

this is making me super hungry now! I have to make those someday .. but i don't have a Panini maker .. so i just put them on pan :)

22 Tracy March 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm

The panini sounds wonderful but I am especially drooling over your addition of hot pepper jelly! Yum!!

23 penny aka jeroxie March 9, 2011 at 8:16 pm

love the look and ingredients in this panini.

24 Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having March 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm

This panini sounds wonderful. I think I'll try making my own pepper jelly this summer, can't wait to try it in a sandwich like this!

25 Mary March 9, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Oh, this panini sounds (and looks!) perfect! Droooooling…

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

26 Kim March 10, 2011 at 3:31 am

Soup, salad and a sandwich – yum. Especially THIS sandwich!

27 Rose&Thorn March 10, 2011 at 3:38 am

My motto in life is "Love to Cook – Hate to Clean". I certainly will not lie on my death bed worrying about the blinds that should have been dusted more often – I'll rather lament over that meal I wanted to try make and never took the time to.
Saturday and Sunday are both simple meals in our home – sometimes even "If you want it : make it yourself"! Love this easy recipe.

28 Vivienne March 10, 2011 at 5:17 am

the colours are beautiful and so vibrant. i just know id love to take a bite at it right now!
love a simple sunday meal!

29 Kim @ Feed Me, Seymour March 10, 2011 at 6:11 am

This looks really yummy! I think I might try mine with a little red onion jam.

30 Emily Malloy March 10, 2011 at 11:46 am

Holy Moses. That there is perfection!

31 www.kevinandamanda.com March 10, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Oh yum, this looks delicious, Dara!

32 Cake Duchess March 10, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Your dusting blind comment made me LOL! I feel the same way!;)Gorgeous panini! Great idea and I need to remember to make them more often for a quick meal…and nice w/a little of your noodle soup from the other day!

33 Nancy March 10, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Now you have me pawing through my refrigerator looking for tasty jellies to use to make panini's!!

Will definitely be making some of these this week since La Crosse season is in full swing – they make the perfect after game snack!!

34 marla March 11, 2011 at 7:07 am

I am with you girl. Can't stand dust or dusting. Hence the blinds are looking…..we won't go there.
I'll keep the focus on this gorgeous panini! Oh my. You have so many goodies tucked inside that sandwich.

35 Tricia @ Saving room for dessert March 11, 2011 at 7:16 am

I saw this recipe and that was it. We didn't have a panini press or pan but that all changed yesterday. I bought a grill styled skillet and made these last night. Oh my gosh – they are great. I knew that hot pepper jelly would be the game changer. It was truly fantastic. I would serve this for company. My husband was very happy with it too. I've been using white cheddar cheese because it melts like a dream. Truly awesome sandwich. I may have to blog this one!

36 Aimee Shugarman March 17, 2011 at 7:52 am

Yum. This is actually one of my favorite sandwiches. I like to grill it in my grill press and add sliced apples and slice avocado! I heart pepper jelly!

37 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 17, 2011 at 8:28 am

Apple slices and avocado would be the perfect additions!

38 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker March 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Oh YUM! I love sandwiches, and this would sounds particularly delicious! Love the hot pepper jelly with the cheddar!