You can't beat an ooey gooey grilled turkey sandwich, with a good sharp Cheddar, a smear of apple butter and creamy avocado slices.
A well-crafted grilled turkey sandwich is one of life’s little pleasures. The perfect combination of flavors and textures, this sandwich is a delicious union of homemade apple butter, sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced turkey, and creamy avocado, all sandwiched between two slices of golden, grilled bread.
I am a sucker for sweet and savory flavor combinations. Sandwiches can go from boring to “OMG, amazing” with the simple addition of a sweet spread, like the homemade apple butter in this sandwich or pepper jelly in my favorite English muffin breakfast sandwich.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are endlessly customizable. Tweak the ingredients to suit your preferences. Add some greens, change up the cheese, or even throw in some bacon if you're feeling indulgent.
Tips for making this recipe
- Choose your bread: Use a good quality, hearty bread. A sourdough or rustic artisanal loaf hold up well to the filling and grilling process.
- Control the Heat: Keep an eye on the heat when grilling. You want the bread to turn golden and crispy, not burnt. Adjust the heat as needed.
- Use a Panini Press: If you have a panini press or indoor grill (like a George Foreman grill), it can make the grilling process even easier and press the sandwich uniformly.
- Use a Grill Press or Heavy Pan: If you're using a skillet and want a pressed panini effect, you can either place a grill press or another heavy pan on top of the sandwich as it cooks to press it down.
- Rest Before Cutting: Allow the sandwich to rest for a minute or two before cutting. This gives the cheese a chance to set, preventing it from oozing out too much when sliced.
See recipe card below for full ingredients list & recipe directions.
▪️ CHEESE: Swap out Cheddar for Swiss, provolone, or gouda for a different flavor profile.
▪️ TURKEY: Ham, sliced chicken breast or roast beef are all good substitutions.
▪️ BREAD: Try an Italian loaf or ciabatta in place of the sourdough.
▪️ APPLE BUTTER: Try it with homemade cranberry sauce (delicious!), pepper jelly, or fig or apricot preserves.
KEEP IN TOUCH
and receive recipes straight to your inbox!
How to make grilled turkey sandwich
LAYER THE INGREDIENTS: Spread a generous amount of apple butter on each slice of bread. Layer on the Cheddar cheese, sliced turkey and avocado slices.
BRUSH THE BREAD: Close the sandwiches and brush the outside of the sandwich a light layer of olive oil.
GRILL IT: Heat a panini press, grill pan or indoor grill (like a George Foreman grill). Toast the sandwich until the grill marks are golden brown and the cheese is melted and gooey. Slice in half and serve.
ALTERNATIVE: If you don’t have a grill pan, a regular frying pan works perfectly well. Heat it over medium heat. Flip the sandwich when the bread is golden brown on the bottom side. Continue to cook until the second side is golden brown and the cheese is melted. If you prefer a pressed sandwich, place a grill press on top of the sandwich as it cooks.
Make it vegetarian
For a vegetarian twist, omit the turkey and load up on your favorite grilled veggies. Portobello mushrooms, zucchini, or roasted red peppers are all fantastic options.
What to serve it with
Since grilled cheese sandwiches (particularly ones with avocado!) are calorie-dense, I typically do a half sandwich/half salad or half sandwich/soup combo for lunch. Here are a few favorites to pair with this sandwich:
- Tomato Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Mushroom Soup
- Green salad with Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Apple Pecan Salad
Frequently Asked Questions:
Absolutely! A regular skillet works just fine. Just be sure to use a spatula to press down gently on the sandwich or use a cast iron grill press as it cooks to get that iconic panini-style press.
Absolutely, using store-bought apple butter is a convenient and tasty option. It may have a slightly different flavor profile than homemade apple butter, but it will still add a delicious sweet and fruity element to your sandwich.
Yes, you can easily make this sandwich gluten-free by using gluten-free bread. Many brands offer gluten-free bread options that work perfectly for grilling.
Other Sandwiches You'll Love
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and comment underneath the recipe card below. Thank you!
Grilled Turkey Sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread (use whole wheat sourdough if you can find it)
- 6 tablespoons apple butter
- 2 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese sliced
- 2 ½ ounces sliced turkey
- ½ Hass avocado thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat a panini press, grill pan or skillet to medium heat. This may vary slightly depending on the settings on your panini maker.
- Arrange the sourdough slices on a cutting board. Divide the apple butter between the 4 slices of bread and spread evenly.
- Layer 2 of the bread slices with Cheddar cheese, turkey and avocado. Close the sandwiches. Lightly brush the outside of the sandwiches with olive oil.
- Grill the sandwiches until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown. If using a skillet or grill pan, flip the sandwiches halfway through cooking. (See Note 1 below.)
- Let the sandwich rest for 1 minute to allow the cheese to firm up slightly. Cut each sandwich in half. Serve. (See Note 2.)
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.