“Are you making Grandma’s crockpot applesauce, Mum? Please tell me that you are!”
This is what I typically hear when I pull out the slow cooker. And who can blame them?! The applesauce isn’t a family favorite by chance.
But when I got my new slow cooker (this one from KitchenAid…4 heat settings, timer…the whole she-bang), I decided to put my crockpot-cooking self in gear.
Often I stick with some of our go-to favorites, such as Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup and Crockpot Chickpea Stew with Balsamic Caramelized Onions.
My husband and kids adore my mum’s chicken curry. It’s always a full-on feast, complete with naan, mango chutney and cucumber raita.
This time, I used some of the same flavors, but simplified the process by tossing everything into the slow cooker after sauteeing some onions, ginger and garlic with mild curry paste (found in the Asian aisle of many supermarkets). Plus, this version is vegetarian, starring sweet potatoes, cauliflower and chickpeas, rather than chicken and regular potatoes, making it the perfect candidate for any Meatless Monday meal. It’s also happens to be vegan and gluten-free.
Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, apple and ginger, and cook until they are tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Transfer the onion mixture to a slow cooker.
Add the sweet potato, cauliflower, chickpeas, diced tomatoes and vegetable broth to the slow cooker.
Cook on HIGH for 6 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
Stir in the coconut milk and spinach, and heat. Serve.
Other healthy slow cooker recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans & Corn
Cookin’ Canuck’s Slow Cooker Hoisin Shredded Chicken Sandwich with Asian Slaw
Kalyn’s Kitchen’s Crockpot Black Bean Chili with Lime & Cilantro
Skinnytaste’s Crock Pot Italian Turkey Meatballs
Jeanette’s Healthy Living’s Slow Cooker Smoked Sausage Chicken Cassoulet
Calories 181.2 / Total Fat 5.1g / Saturated Fat 1.0g / Cholesterol 0mg / Sodium 461.9mg / Total Carbohydrates 31.6g / Fiber 7.5g / Sugars 4.7g / Protein 6.1g / WW (Old Points) 3 / WW (Points+) 5
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 Gala apple, diced
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup mild curry paste (such as Patak's)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chickpeas
- 1 (14 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz.) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups (lightly packed) spinach leaves, chopped
- Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, apple and ginger, and cook until they are tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a slow cooker.
- Add the sweet potato, cauliflower, chickpeas, diced tomatoes and vegetable broth to the slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 6 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and spinach, and heat. Serve.
From the kitchen of Cookin' Canuck | www.cookincanuck.com