You know you’ve hit the recipe jackpot when your two kids and one of their friends inhale their first helping of a one-pot sausage recipe and promptly ask for a second. When this particular friend comes over for dinner, it’s time to put on my thinking cap so that I can feed him a healthy, gluten-free meal. I’ve got it down to a science, making sure that my pantry is stocked with gluten-free friendly items, such as tamari soy sauce, gluten-free chicken broth, quinoa and so on.
The sausages that are regularly stashed in our freezer, 5th Avenue Grill Turkey Sausages (we buy them at Costco) happen to be gluten-free. I’ve used them in several recipes, which you can see here and here. Admittedly, using sausages of any variety bump up the sodium count, so this one-pot sausage recipe will be a “once in awhile” dinner for us…moderation is always key.
If you want to bump up the vitamins, add a handful or two of fresh spinach or chopped kale. If you aren’t a fan of black beans, try substituting them with cannellini or great northern beans.
Serve the ragout over quinoa, brown rice or even whole wheat pasta to round out the meal.
And did I mention that this recipe is quick? All you need is about 30 minutes, and 15 of those minutes are inactive “simmer” time.
Other one-pot meal recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s One-Pot Cumin & Smoked Paprika Chicken with Potatoes
Cookin’ Canuck’s Fisherman’s Soup with Tilapia, Shrimp, Tomatoes & Capers
Fuss Free Cooking’s Sweet Potato & Chickpea Soup
Cooking with Cakes’ One Pot Italian Orechiette Soup
Wishful Chef’s Simple Roast Chicken on a Bed of Vegetables
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 chicken sausages (such as 5th Avenue Grill), cut into half-circles
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 oz.) can reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (28 oz. ) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 5 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausages and onion, and cook until the onions are tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the black beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook at a lively simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the basil. Serve over brown rice, quinoa or whole wheat pasta.