A friend recently asked me what hoisin sauce tasted like because she wasn’t sure she had tried it. Once I got over my initial mock horror (haven’t tried hoisin sauce, the best condiment ever to be siphoned into a glass jar?!), I told her that it is a thick, rich Chinese barbecue sauce with the saltiness of soy sauce and a slight sweetness.
Just good all-around.
When I pulled out my slow cooker that day, I had hoisin sauce on the brain and chicken in the fridge. Dinner came together from there. I love it when that happens!
I’m not kidding when I say that it just doesn’t get any easier than this recipe. Just pour the 6-ingredient sauce over the boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the slow cooker, and cook for an hour and a half.
Once the chicken is cooked, all that’s left to do is shred the meat and boil the sauce with some cornstarch to make it rich and thick.
So, how can you use the shredded chicken?
- Serve it over rice with stir-fried veggies
- Wrap it in a tortilla with vegetables for an easy lunch
- Tuck it in corn tortillas with Spicy Asian Slaw with Carrots & Ginger Dressing for a fun take on tacos
- Toss it with cooked soba noodles and vegetables. Use the remaining sauce to coat the noodles.
Tip: Both hoisin sauce and chili-garlic sauce can be found in the international aisle of most grocery stores, or by clicking the links below.
Find these ingredients and tools on Amazon:
Other healthy slow cooker recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Slow Cooker Vegetable Curry with Sweet Potato & Chickpeas
Cookin’ Canuck’s Healthy Slow Cooker Spaghetti & Meatballs
Kalyn’s Kitchen’s Slow Cooker Frittata with Kale, Roasted Red Pepper & Feta
iFoodReal’s Quinoa Chili with Slow Cooker Option
Happy Healthy Mama’s Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
- ⅓ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp honey or agave nectar
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp chili-garlic sauce (or to taste)
- 2¼ lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chicken broth, honey (or agave nectar), ginger and chili-garlic sauce.
- Place the trimmed chicken thighs in the bottom of a slow cooker. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cook the chicken on HIGH for 1 ½ to 2 hours or on LOW for 4 hours, or until cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred with two forks or your hands.
- Pour the sauce into a small saucepan. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water, then add to the sauce.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking frequently. Cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place the shredded chicken in a bowl or into the slow cooker to keep warm, and pour ¾ cup of the sauce over top. (Reserve remaining sauce for serving over rice or stir-fried vegetables.) Toss to coat. Serve and garnish with green onions.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!