In 30 minutes, this healthy vegetarian spaghetti squash recipe can be on the table. It’s packed with mushrooms and chickpeas, and tossed with marinara sauce.
It took me a long time to appreciate spaghetti squash. Well, that’s not completely accurate. It took a long to even take the first bite of spaghetti squash. I was stuck in the “all squash is evil” mindset left over from my pre-teen years. Spaghetti Squash with Spinach, Feta & Basil White Beans is what hooked me first, which quickly snowballed into Chicken Puttanesca with Spaghetti Squash and Vegetarian Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash, as well as spaghetti squash dressed with light vinaigrettes.
Since I know that many of you are fans of one-pot meals, I thought it was high time that I came up with a one-pot (or rather, one skillet) spaghetti squash recipe.
You are more than welcome to roast the spaghetti squash, but I always take the easy route by popping it into the microwave for 15 minutes, which makes this healthy vegetarian meal a 30-minute gift! I’m a fan of chickpeas and mushrooms, but feel free to substitute any veggies (think zucchini, red bell peppers or broccoli) or beans (cannellini or great northern would be great here).
I count this as one of those meals that can come together after a quick rummage through the fridge and pantry, making it ideal when the 5:30 dinner panic sets in on a busy night.
Other vegetarian dinner recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Slow Cooker Vegetable Barley Soup
Cookin’ Canuck’s Baked Curry Lentil Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Gotham Kitchen’s Smashed Chipotle Chickpea Tacos with Carrot Slaw & Avocado Crema
Fogwood & Fig’s Red Lentil Coconut Curry with Sweet Potato
Purple Carrot’s Creamy Polenta with Awesome Bolognese
- 1 (3 lb.) spaghetti squash
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ tsp ground oregano
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup marinara sauce (your favorite kind)
- 1 ¾ cups (no salt added) chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- ¼ cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese (animal rennet-free for vegetarian)
- Using a large, sharp knife, pierce the spaghetti squash in several pieces.
- Place the spaghetti squash in a glass baking dish and cook in the microwave on high for about 15 minutes, turning the squash halfway through cooking.
- Before handling, let the squash stand for 10 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and fibers. Using a fork, twist out strands of the spaghetti squash flesh and place in a large bowl.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, set over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and just starting to brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, pepper and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the reserved spaghetti squash, marinara sauce, chickpeas and parsley.
- Spread the spaghetti squash mixture into an even layer in the skillet. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the skillet under the broiler until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!