As much as we love experimenting with different grains, such as quinoa, farro and barley, our go-to whole grain remains brown rice. Sometime we cook it on the stove top, other times in our rice cooker. It’s the perfect high-fiber side dish to go with some of our favorite dinners, such as Easy Braised Balsamic & Herb Chicken and Chinese Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry. Other times we give it a punch of flavor, like in Easy Cilantro Lime Brown Rice and tuck it in burritos.
If I had my choice, I’d cook brown rice with mushrooms every single time. But as the lone wolf mushroom lover of the house, my only option is to satisfy that whim when guests are coming for dinner or when I’m on my own for lunch.
Turning brown rice from a neutral side dish to something that could steal the spotlight is as easy as sautéing the rice with vegetables and fresh herbs, and cooking in a water/broth mixture. A big helping of caramelized mushrooms doesn’t hurt either!
Other brown rice recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Greek Turkey, Rice & Feta Casserole
Cookin’ Canuck’s Easy Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
What’s Gaby Cooking’s Southwestern Brown Rice Bowl
The Roasted Root’s Citrusy Brown Rice with Butternut Squash & Pomegranate
Bran Appetit’s Lemony Falafel Brown Rice
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #COOKINCANUCK and I’ll be sure to find it.
Toasted Brown Rice with Mushrooms & Thyme Recipe
|Serving Size||½ cup ||
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 282kcal Calories from fat 37|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 4g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Sometimes side dishes are the best part of the meal, particularly when flavored with browned mushrooms and fresh thyme.
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Heat ½ teaspoon olive oil in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and water. Bring to a boil, cover saucepan and reduce heat to low.
- Cook until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the thyme and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms, parsley, salt and pepper to the rice, and stir to combine. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!