In 30 minutes, this healthy vegetarian spaghetti squash recipe can be on the table. It's packed with mushrooms and chickpeas, and tossed with marinara sauce. 143 calories and 2 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
This vegetarian spaghetti squash recipe shows just how far I've come. It took me a long time to appreciate spaghetti squash. Well, that’s not completely accurate. It took a long to even take the first bite of spaghetti squash. I was stuck in the “all squash is evil” mindset left over from my pre-teen years. Spaghetti Squash with Spinach, Feta & Basil White Beans is what hooked me first, which quickly snowballed into Chicken Puttanesca with Spaghetti Squash and Vegetarian Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash, as well as spaghetti squash dressed with light vinaigrettes.
Since I know that many of you are fans of one-pot meals, I thought it was high time that I came up with a one-pot (or rather, one skillet) vegetarian spaghetti squash recipe.
You are more than welcome to roast the spaghetti squash, but I always take the easy route by popping it into the microwave for 15 minutes, which makes this healthy vegetarian meal a 30-minute gift! I'm a fan of chickpeas and mushrooms, but feel free to substitute any veggies (think zucchini, red bell peppers or broccoli) or beans (cannellini or great northern would be great here).
I count this vegetarian spaghetti squash recipe as one of those meals that can come together after a quick rummage through the fridge and pantry, making it ideal when the 5:30 dinner panic sets in on a busy night.
What to serve on the side:
This is a complete meal all on its own. However, if you have some hungry diners, consider adding one or two of these side dishes...
- Roasted Mini Potatoes
- Apple Pecan Salad
- Boiled Potatoes with Olive Oil & Fresh Herbs
- Toasted Brown Rice with Mushrooms
Other vegetarian dinner recipes:
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Barley Soup
- Baked Curry Lentil Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Whole30 Vegetarian Power Bowls - from Well Plated
- Sriracha & Lime Roasted Cauliflower Tostadas - from Foodiecrush
- Easy Been Burrito with Hidden Veggies - from A Mind "Full" Mom
Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Skillet Recipe
- 1 3 pound spaghetti squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ teaspoon ground oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup marinara sauce your favorite kind
- 1 ¾ cups no salt added chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- ¼ cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese animal rennet-free for vegetarian
- Using a large, sharp knife, pierce the spaghetti squash in several pieces.
- Place the spaghetti squash in a glass baking dish and cook in the microwave on high for about 15 minutes, turning the squash halfway through cooking.
- Before handling, let the squash stand for 10 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and fibers. Using a fork, twist out strands of the spaghetti squash flesh and place in a large bowl.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, set over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and just starting to brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, pepper and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the reserved spaghetti squash, marinara sauce, chickpeas and parsley.
- Spread the spaghetti squash mixture into an even layer in the skillet. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the skillet under the broiler until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!
Delicious! This was so easy and flavorful! Roasted the squash b/c I had the time and added chickpeas to pasta sauce earlier, too cook up and absorb the flavors.
Made this tonight fairly close to the recipe. Used this method to cook spaghetti squash: https://passtheplants.com/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash/
Salting before roasting really is a game changer. Didn't have enough mushrooms so added some blanched broccoli and would do it again. Had some fresh mozzarella that needed to be used so added it with the parmesan, and because we like a little zing, added some crushed chilis. The ultimate compliment from my husband was "if this is vegetarian, I could eat it all the time". Thank you from a fellow canuk!
We’re low on groceries but I had a spaghetti squash so I made this with frozen meatballs instead of mushrooms and black beans instead of chickpeas. Thank for helping me with a struggle meal on this busy weekend! Also, microwaving a spaghetti squash is a GAME CHANGER. Thank you!
Not a lot of great flavor. I even added vegan sausages. The chickpeas probably should’ve been added earlier in the recipe.
I'm sorry to hear that, Brian.
This easy dish was a winner with my whole family!! We have made it several times now. Sometimes we add ground turkey or chicken, other times we leave it vegetarian. Delicious, filling dish and the leftovers taste just as good the next day!
Love it, Devon! So glad to hear that you and your family enjoy it so much.
This tasted delicious!! So flavorful and surprisingly filling! My first time cooking with spaghetti squash and this recipe sure is a keeper!! Thanks for sharing:)
That's so great to hear! Thank you for commenting.
My daughter loves when I add chickpeas to recipes to make them heartier. This has become one of her favorites !
I'm so glad to hear that, Kristen!
We made this for dinner last week and will be making it again very soon. If this doesn't make someone fall in love with spaghetti squash, I don't know what will.
I agree, Nancy! And thank you.
I made this tonight. It was okay, but I felt like it was missing something. My husband suggested maybe using Arrabiatta sauce instead of Marinara and I think that will work better for us. Happy to make it again with a bit of tweaking for our palates.
Best spaghetti squash recipe I have ever made. So flavorful! Thanks!
That's wonderful to hear, Jacquelyn!
Amelia @ Eating Made Easy
This looks amazing. I rarely cook with spaghetti squash and this post is making me wonder why! Like many moms I'm a one-pot meal fan too. Excited to make this. Fingers crossed my kids think the squash strings are noodles 😉
Heather | Heather Likes Food
Love the creativity and blends of flavors!
This looks so delish ♥
Andi @ The Weary Chef
I love healthy one pan meal recipes! This looks delicious! Will surely be a hit in our family. Thanks for sharing.
Michelle @ The Complete Savorist
I really appreciate the new spin on using spaghetti squash. It looks really good and I love that it is a one pan meal. Great job!
I love a one pan meal, especially one that doesn't take too long to make either!
Jessica - The Novice Chef
This looks so amazing! I never use spaghetti squash enough!
Katerina @ Diethood
I am all about this meal. The squash, the chickpeas, the mushrooms, the cheese!! All of it = ME! 😀
And, microwaved spaghetti squash for the win! I do the same 😀
Chandra@The Plaid & Paisley Kitchen
I love how healthy looks so tasty when you make it!
Justine | Cooking and Beer
Such a beautiful recipe! Love the substitution of spaghetti squash!