“Mum, will you teach me to make that before I go to college?” asked my 10 year old son. I think it was potstickers. The frozen kind. Yes, I’m pretty sure we can master that over the next seven or eight years. A couple of days later, he was deep in thought and I asked, “What are thinking about?” Because that’s what women do and it typically gets an eye roll from the men in our lives. I was expecting some dissertation on what the Giants need to do to beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Instead, he said, “Okay. So, first I heat the pan. Medium heat, right?” Well, tie me up and call me Shirley…the boy was speaking my language.
So far, both boys have mastered peanut butter sandwiches, cheese melts (sandwich rounds, cheddar cheese, dots of ketchup…good stuff!) and homemade lunchables (Wasa crackers with hummus, and turkey, cheese and cucumber slices). Okay, so we have a little work to do before they set off into the world. I do a little cheer inside each time they flip through the recipe box or scroll through my blog and gather together a list of recipes they want to make together. I think sandwich pinwheels will be next on the list. They’re easy to throw together, it’s fun to roll them and they turn into savory bites that are perfect for serving at a Super Bowl party or tucking into a lunch box.
If you’re looking for more Super Bowl recipe ideas, head to Super Bowl Recipes: Chili, Wings, Dips & More.
The yogurt sauce:
In a medium bowl, stir together non-fat Greek yogurt, low-fat mayo, lemon juice, chopped oregano and basil, and salt.
Divide the yogurt sauce between 4 whole wheat tortillas and spread evenly. Lay the roasted pepper strips on top of the yogurt sauce.
Divide the shredded chicken, kalamata olives and spinach between the tortillas, and arrange evenly.
Roll each tortilla into a roll, as tightly as you can without the ingredients pushing out. Cut each roll crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Serve.
Other pinwheel sandwich recipes:
Pennies on a Platter’s Prosciutto Mozzarella Pinwheels
Tung in Cheek’s A Pinwheel Egg Roll with Caramelized Onions, Turkey & Spinach
Savoring Time in the Kitchen’s Smoked Salmon Pinwheels
Confections of a Foodie Bride’s Whole Wheat Prosciutto, Basil & Mozzarella Pinwheels
Chicken Pinwheel Sandwich Recipe with Roasted Red Pepper, Kalamata Olives & Herb Yogurt
- 3 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 8 ounces cooked shredded chicken breast
- 2 whole or 4 halves roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces pitted kalamata olives thinly sliced (about 16 olives)
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
The Yogurt Sauce:
- In a medium bowl, stir together Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, oregano, basil and salt.
- Divide the yogurt sauce between the whole wheat tortillas and spread evenly. Lay the roasted pepper strips on top of the yogurt sauce.
- Divide the shredded chicken, kalamata olives and spinach between the tortillas, and arrange evenly.
- Roll each tortilla into a roll, as tightly as you can without the ingredients pushing out. Cut each roll crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Serve.