If it’s one thing that I’ve learned about my 10-year old son, it’s this: when he comes up with a recipe idea, I listen and then I run to the kitchen. By the way, before we go any further, he informed me that he wants to be referred to as “Spike” in this post. I will humor him since he came up with such an awesome recipe idea.
A couple of days ago, Spike (sigh) said to me, “Mum, do you know what would taste really good? A piece of baguette with goat cheese and apple.”
Since this was Spike’s (can’t…get…past…this) recipe idea, I got his approval on a couple of additions I wanted to make.
Me: “What do you think about adding some cinnamon and agave nectar to the apples?”
Spike: “Yeah, yeah…it will taste kind of like Grandma’s applesauce that we make in the crockpot!” This one.
Me: “And maybe we could add a fresh herb. Like some thyme leaves.”
Spike: “I don’t know, Mum. That sounds kind of weird. I guess we could try it on one to see if we like it.”
We toasted bread, we spread goat cheese, we sliced apples, and we pulled out the cinnamon and agave. And then we sprinkled on some thyme leaves.
Holy cow! These are the bomb!
The tang from the goat cheese and the sweetness from the apples and agave pairs beautifully with the crunchy and tender toasted baguette.
And what about the thyme leaves? Both of my boys sprinkled extra on the rest of the crostini and proceeded to eat the whole batch.
Serve these as an appetizer, or snack on them in the afternoon. Either way, you’ll fall in love with this easy recipe.
Well done, Spike. Well done.
Other healthy appetizers:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Devilish Avocado Sriracha Deviled Eggs
Cookin’ Canuck’s 5-Minute Black Bean Dip
Healthy Seasonal Recipes’ Mini Beef Wellington Pot Pies
Skinnytaste’s Skinny Baked Mozzarella Sticks
Beard & Bonnet’s Paella Stuffed Mini Bell Peppers
Cinnamon Apple & Goat Cheese Crostini Recipe
This is what happens when I listen to my son’s recipe ideas. Apples, cinnamon and goat cheese come together into one fantastic crostini appetizer or snack. 44 calories and 1 Weight Watchers SmartPoint
- 12 1/2-inch slices whole wheat baguette
- 1/2 Gala apple, cut into 12 slices
- 1 1/2 tsp agave nectar, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 oz. (about 1/4 cup) goat cheese
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until slightly crunchy, 5 to 6 minutes.
2. Place the apples in a medium bowl and, using your hands, coat with ½ teaspoon of the agave nectar. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the cinnamons.
3. Spread 1 teaspoon of goat cheese on each baguette slice. Top each with an apple slice, a small drizzle of the remaining agave and a few thyme leaves. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!