Serve this healthy white bean dip at your next football get-together, or enjoy it as a power-packed snack during the week.
For weeks, I’ve been waiting for the first Sunday of the NFL season. It’s a great excuse to hang out with family, dive into healthy dips like this vegetarian white bean version with Parmesan cheese and sage, and maybe even crack open a beer or two. Of course, the computers are at the ready so that we can check our Fantasy Football stats.
For the second year running, I’m in a Fantasy Football league (called “Knead to Win”…snicker) with seven other food bloggers.
My team, the Panfrying Pigskins (that’s what I said) is playing against other food-focused teams, such as Sugar High, Baker’s Dozen and Cookie Crushers. It keeps the whole thing pretty interesting.
This healthy dip takes less than five minutes to make. Truly. Simply throw the cannellini beans (white kidney beans), lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, cayenne pepper, sage and chives in a food processor or blender and puree away. Done.
Serve it up with your favorite raw veggies, crackers or pieces of whole wheat pita. It also works well as a spread on a whole wheat tortilla, stacked with fresh vegetables. I love having these kinds of dips available for afternoon snacking during the week. It keeps me away from the junk!
Of course, if football isn’t your thing, just curl up with a good book and bowl of this dip. That makes for a pretty great Sunday afternoon, too.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine cannellini beans, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Puree until smooth. Taste and add more cayenne pepper, if desired.
Add sage and pulse to combine. Transfer the dip to a serving bowl.
Serve with pita bread wedges, crackers or crudite.
Other bean dip recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Spicy Black Bean Dip with Roasted Red & Chipotle Peppers
Cookin’ Canuck’s Artichoke Hummus with Hazelnuts & Fresh Mint
The Cozy Apron’s Creamy White Bean & Apple-Smoked Bacon Dip
Sweet Road’s Black Bean & Sweet Potato Dip
White Bean Dip Recipe with Parmesan Cheese & Sage
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans drained & rinsed (I prefer Bush's Beans)
- 1/4 cup packed finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine cannellini beans, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and ⅛ teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Puree until smooth. Taste and add more cayenne pepper, if desired.
- Add sage and pulse to combine. Transfer the dip to a serving bowl.
- Serve with pita bread wedges, crackers or crudite.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.