You'd never guess that this orange and red pepper soup recipe contains absolutely no dairy! Healthy and flavorful, it's a wonderful option for lunch or dinner. 172 calories and 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
Have you ever cut certain things out of your diet, only to discover that you have more energy, sleep like a baby and just generally feel better? For most of us, choosing to cut out sugar, dairy or gluten is a luxury, not a necessity. For Amie Valpone, known as The Healthy Apple in the food blogging world and author of the new book, Eating Clean, it was a matter of life and death.
Amie was living the mid-twenties life of a marketing professional in New York City when she started to experience symptoms that baffled doctors. Receiving incorrect diagnoses of leukemia, hypothyroidism and more, she was put on various medications and directed to eat more grains, more meat, more milk, all leading to a drastic spiral downwards that landed her in the hospital with 24 hours to live.
Amie’s story is astonishing, horrifying and inspiring all at the same time, and she outlines her journey in detail in her book. Through a doctor who looked beyond the standard tests and a good deal of personal research, Amie eventually realized that her body needed something more than standard medications. She needed an overhaul to her diet and way of life.
It’s not that Amie had been an unhealthy eater before, but she was consuming things that increased inflammation and toxicity in her body to dangerous levels. Something needed to change.
Eating Clean starts with Amie’s story, but quickly moves into her 21-day plan for fighting inflammation; priceless tips for cleaning up your fridge, pantry and diet (and more); tips on eating out; a 2-week meal plan; and countless recipes using fresh, wholesome ingredients. Throughout the book, Amie’s personality and passion for healthful living practically radiates from the pages.
This book is more than just a cookbook. Whether or not you feel that you suffer from inflammation issues, I guarantee that you will find priceless information in this book that will guide you towards a healthier lifestyle. And the recipes…well, really, that’s reason enough to buy this book!
This flavorful, creamy bell pepper soup is straight from the pages of Eating Clean (posted with Amie's permission), and embodies the fresh, healthy recipes that you'll find in this book. Creamy without the cream, chockfull of vitamins (I felt as though the antioxidants were practically leaping from the bowl) and a wonderful way to highlight the naturally sweet bell peppers.
Golden Red & Orange Bell Pepper Soup Recipe
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ small onion diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste*
- 8 yellow red and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 teaspoon finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 recipe Gluten-Free Herbed Croutons for garnish (from Amie's book)**
- sliced avocado for garnish; optional**
- finely chopped fresh cilantro for garnish; optional**
- drizzle Seriously Sensational Sriracha Sauce for garnish; optional (from Amie's book)**
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and cook until soft,about 6 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and broth. Season with salt and black pepper, cover the pot,
- and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and add the marjoram. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Let the soup cool slightly, and then, in batches, transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. If needed, thin the soup with water. Adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper if necessary. Return the soup to the pot to keep warm until serving. Serve garnished with the Herbed Croutons and, if desired, the avocado and cilantro on top and Seriously Sensational Sriracha Sauce on the side.
** These items are not included in the nutritional data.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!
I’m making this recipe today!
By chance have an abundance of orange & yellow peppers,mainly mini size. I wonder approx. how many cups of cut up pieces would be the equal of the quantity.
Need to use white potato as it happens. I needed this recipe—thanks!
Angie | Big Bear's Wife
That sounds like a wonderful cookbook! I recently started doing low carb to kind of restart my body but I'm looking into more ideas and always looking for tips on ways to make myself feel better through the foods I eat instead of medicines. This soup looks splendid! Just entered the giveaway for the cookbook! .
A whole lot comes in quite a few styles and colours in addition to being released without or with canopies,Gafas De Sol Armani. Do it yourself quite different feel for newborn room check out round cribs.One other serious type of baby cots is travel cots,. Inevitably, the design process must address the venue. Ultimately,Zapatos Brooks Baratos, parents be required to decide whether they should call host the celebration at home or seek suitable places for kids' birthdays.
Sharon @ What The Fork Food Blog
Looks like a great recipe and cookbook - can't wait to check it out!
Amanda | The Chunky Chef
Wow!! So vibrant and healthy... just amazing 😀
Michelle @ The Complete Savorist
The vibrance of this soup is utterly amazing. I bet the flavor is too.
Laura / I Heart Naptime
This soup looks so delicious! And I'm definitely in need of a clean-eating detox, so win-win!
This looks amazing! I just found I am pos. For lymes. So while I normally eat amazingly healthy. I want to boost it up a notch to get rid of this so I can't wait to try this tonight. Looks so pretty as well. Can I use a regular potato? Or is it imperative for the flavor to use sweet. I don't want to ruin it. Just trying to eliminate ALL sugar at this time
Hi Carrie, I've never tried it with a regular potato, so am not sure. The flavor will definitely be different, but there should still be some sweetness from the carrots.
Laura| Petite Allergy Treats
Such a beautiful healthy soup from Amie's book! I am familiar with her amazing story and talented skill as a professional chef. Can't wait to try this soup!
The Healthy Apple
Thank you so much Dara! This post is BEAUTIFUL! I am so grateful for your support and I truly hope you love my book. Sending you the biggest hug from NYC and I really hope to see you soon in person.
Thank you for taking the time to support my book.