This Greek Chicken Spaghetti Squash Skillet recipe is so filling and satisfying that it’s hard to believe it’s healthy. And if you’re following Weight Watchers Freestyle program, each serving is only 1 point.
Greek Chicken Spaghetti Squash Skillet Recipe
This is not the first time I’ve made a spaghetti squash skillet recipe, and it definitely won’t be the last! I first fell in love with spaghetti squash when I tried this recipe, and tried turning it into a vegetarian skillet meal about a year ago.
If you’re following a low carb diet, you’ve likely discovered that spaghetti squash is a fantastic substitute for pasta. But low carb or not, this versatile squash can be mixed with almost any type of protein, as well as a variety of vegetables and sauces.
When I first starting preparing spaghetti squash, particularly stuffed spaghetti squash recipes like this enchilada version or this pesto chicken one, I was shocked at how quickly it filled me up. I could barely finish a stuffed spaghetti squash half on my own. Tons of fiber will do that to you! This Greek Chicken Spaghetti Squash Skillet recipe is no different.
How to make spaghetti squash skillet recipes:
- Cook the spaghetti squash, either in the microwave or by roasting in the oven. Let the squash rest until cool enough to handle, then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Using a fork, scrape out the spaghetti squash strands.
- In a large skillet (this is my all-time favorite nonstick skillet – affiliate), cook any vegetables, protein, herbs, spices and sauce that you’re using. In the case of this recipe, I first cooked the chicken, then made a simple marinara sauce.
- Stir the spaghetti squash into the sauce and toss to combine.
- If using cheese, sprinkle it over the spaghetti squash, then pop the whole skillet under the broiler just until the cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes.
Nutritional benefits of spaghetti squash:
- It's a powerhouse of vitamins: A, B6, C, folate and K, to name a few.
- Low in calories and carbs, with a good amount of fiber. In 1 cup, there are about 40 calories, 8 grams of carbs and 2 grams of fiber.
- It's a fantastic substitute for pasta if you're watching your carbs or just trying to work more vegetables into your diet.
Other healthy spaghetti squash recipes:
Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Skillet
Vegetarian Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Pesto Chicken Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Chicken Puttanesca with Spaghetti Squash
Greek Chicken Spaghetti Squash Skillet
- 1 2 pound spaghetti squash
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper divided
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 8 pitted Kalamata olives quartered
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Pierce the spaghetti squash all over with a fork. Cook on HIGH in the microwave until the squash is starting to soften when pressed, about 15 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- Let the spaghetti squash cool for about 10 minutes, then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Using a fork, scrape out the strands and transfer to a bowl or cutting board. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, season with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, and cook until no longer pink in the center. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Decrease the heat to medium and heat the olive oil in the skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, oregano and red chili flakes, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, along with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Stir the chicken, Kalamata olives and parsley into the tomato sauce, just until combined. Add the spaghetti squash and toss with tongs until combined. Spread evenly in the skillet.
- Top the squash with feta cheese, then place the skillet under the broiler until the cheese is starting to melt, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve.
Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thought this might be good and was even better : excellent. And the leftovers were even better a day later. Pete
Absolutely delicious! And easy to make. My two year old gobbled it up, twirling it on her fork as if it was pasta. Nice change from the typical carby pasta dish for her, and only one freestyle point for me! Win win.
Very tasty and filling! Definitely will make again and again.
That's great to hear, Lisa! It's amazing how filling spaghetti squash can be.
Hi Dara! Thanks for this recipe!! I'll have to get my husband to grow some spaghetti squash this summer!, 1WW smart point sounds wonderful!! I'm getting used to the new Freestyle program. Your and Liz's recipes are sure helping me with that!, By the way, I'm missing our challenge this year! Hope you're doing well! I celebrated 9 years of being cancer free and 17 years of Lifetime with Weight Watchers last year!! Going for 10 and 18 years respectively!!