Spaghetti squash is taken to a whole new level in this easy, light lunch or dinner option. This chicken stuffed spaghetti squash is perfect for a healthy meal.
If there is one vegetable that likes to dress up in 100 different outfits, spaghetti squash is it. It is a vegetable just begging for a metaphor. Its earthy side comes out when dressed in apples and toasted pecans. Its fiesta-loving self is revealed when mixed with black beans and corn, stuffed enchilada-style. When it’s feeling sassy, out comes the puttanesca sauce.
Spaghetti squash is versatile, healthy and can easily be served as a side or main dish. As good as it is when served with a ladleful of tomato sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, it can become something much more interesting when mixed with different sauces, vinaigrettes and various mix-ins.
In this chicken stuffed spaghetti squash recipe, I cooked the spaghetti squash in the microwave (feel free to roast it, if you prefer), scooped out the strands and mixed them with chicken, basil pesto and red bell pepper before transferring the mixture back to the squash shells and broiled for just a minute or two.
#EatSeasonal is the brainchild of my friend Becky of The Vintage Mixer , who has pulled together a group of bloggers to post seasonal recipes each month, using her produce guide as inspiration.
There’s a fantastic variety of recipes, some sweet and some savory, as you can see in the collage below, all inspired by produce that is fresh and seasonal in September. Be sure to click on the links to check out the recipes. For more seasonal recipe inspiration, follow the #EatSeasonal hashtag on Instagram.
Shredded Hoisin-Blackberry Chicken Tacos with Crunchy Slaw by Floating Kitchen
Raspberry Peach Hand Pies by Foodie Crush
Roasted Red Pepper and Sweet Potato Soup by Cafe Johnsonia
Pumpkin Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce by Climbing Grier Mountain
Zucchini Banana Brownies by Kitchen Confidante
Classic Carrot Cake by Vintage Mixer
Easy Roasted Vegetable Spaghetti by Simple Bites
Peach and Arugula Pizza by Letty’s Kitchen
Thai Carrot Cucumber Noodle Salad with Peanut Lime Dressing by Flavor the Moments
Slow Cooker Red Lentil Cauliflower Curry by Well Plated
Creamy Tomatillo Ranch Dressing by Mountain Mama Cooks
Pesto Chicken Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash is taken to a whole new level in this easy, light lunch or dinner option. It is stuffed with chicken pesto and veggies for a healthy meal.
- Using a large, sharp knife, pierce a spaghetti squash in several places. Place the spaghetti squash in a glass baking dish and cook in the microwave on HIGH for about 15 minutes, turning the squash halfway through cooking.
- Before handling let the squash stand for 10 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and fibers.
- Using a fork, twist out strand of the spaghetti squash flesh and place in a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature. Save the shells of the squash for stuffing later.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, salt and pepper, and cook until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a bowl.
- Turn the heat to medium and heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil in the skillet. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the spaghetti squash strands, chicken and pesto, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Scoop the spaghetti squash mixture into the spaghetti squash shells and top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the stuffed spaghetti squash onto a baking sheet and place under the broiler. Cook until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!