Grilled vegetable tacos (vegan and gluten free) are completely irresistible and satisfying when tossed in a light peanut sauce and topped with avocado slices. 238 calories and 6 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
Thai Grilled Vegetable Tacos Recipe
Grilled vegetable tacos are always a favorite and if "Thai" is somewhere in the recipe title, I'd lay down good money that my family will love it. Whether it's this Thai Chicken Salad (I can't stop making and eating this one), our Friday night favorite Thai Chicken Pizza, a light and delicious 10-Minute Thai Shrimp & Avocado Salad, or our long-time favorite rice noodle dish, we're suckers for anything Thai-inspired.
While I was grilling zucchini last week for my Grilled Zucchini Hummus Roll-Ups, I threw some extra-thick pieces of zucchini on the grill, along with some yellow squash, red pepper and red onion. Since grilled veggies take mere minutes to cook and the peanut sauce only a few minutes more to whisk together, these tacos can be whipped up on any old busy weeknight night. That said, they're delicious enough to serve up as a vegetarian option when entertaining.
How to make these vegan tacos:
- If you don't have all of these vegetables on hand or want to mix things up a little, replace any of them with other grill-able veggies, such as eggplant, mushrooms or even asparagus. Anything will go!
- The avocado slices on top are optional, but lend a creamy finish to the tacos. Plus, the healthy fats will keep you feeling satisfied for longer.
- Start by grilling the oil-brushed vegetables either on an outdoor grill or in a grilling pan. Alternatively, the vegetables could be roasted, which makes these tacos a great option for the chillier winter months, too.
- Next, chop up the grilled vegetables and toss with a few tablespoons of the homemade peanut sauce.
- Warm the tortillas briefly in the microwave, scoop in the veggies and drizzle the remaining peanut sauce over top.
- If you find that the tortillas are breaking while eating the tacos, use a double layer of tortillas.
How do you make these tacos vegan and gluten free?
- To make this recipe vegan, be sure to use agave nectar (affiliate link) rather than honey in the peanut sauce.
- For a gluten free version of this recipe, make one small change in the peanut sauce ingredients - swap out the soy sauce and replace it with tamari (affiliate link).
Other healthy Thai-inspired recipes:
Grilled Thai Vegetable Tacos Recipe
- 2 small zucchini cut lengthwise into ¾-inch thick strips
- 1 small yellow squash cut lengthwise into ¾-inch thick strips
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper seeded & quartered
- ¼ red onion peeled & cut in half through the root
- 6 white corn tortillas
- ¾ avocado cut into 12 slices
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Lightly brush with vegetable oil.
- Lay the zucchini and yellow squash strips on a baking sheet in a single layer. Brush on both sides with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Place the red bell pepper and onion in a medium bowl. Gently toss with the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Grill the vegetable until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes per side for the zucchini and yellow squash, 3 minutes per side for the onion and 2 minutes per side for the red bell pepper.
- Cut the zucchini, yellow squash and red pepper into ½-inch chunks. Cut off the root ends of the onions and cut the layers in half.
- Place all of the vegetables in a large bowl and toss with 3 tablespoons of the peanut sauce.
- Wrap the corn tortillas in a paper towel and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds to soften the tortillas.
- Using 1 tortilla per taco (use an extra if you're worried about them falling apart), divide the vegetables evenly between the tacos and top each with 2 teaspoons of peanut sauce, 2 slices of avocado and a sprinkle of cilantro.
The Peanut Sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, water, soy sauce and rice vinegar until smooth.
- Stir in the ginger, honey and chili garlic sauce.
This post was originally posted on May 16, 2016, and was updated on April 24, 2019.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.