Grilled vegetable tacos (vegan and gluten free) are completely irresistible and satisfying when tossed in a light peanut sauce and topped with avocado slices.
If “Thai” is somewhere in the recipe title, I’d lay down good money that my family will love it. Whether it’s this Thai Chicken Salad (I can’t stop making and eating this one), our Friday night favorite Thai Chicken Pizza, a light and delicious 10-Minute Thai Shrimp & Avocado Salad, or our long-time favorite rice noodle dish (using brown rice Pad Thai noodles), we’re suckers for anything Thai-inspired.
While I was grilling zucchini last week for my Grilled Zucchini Hummus Roll-Ups, I threw some extra-thick pieces of zucchini on the grill, along with some yellow squash, red pepper and red onion. Since grilled veggies take mere minutes to cook and the peanut sauce only a few minutes more to whisk together, these tacos can be whipped up on any old busy weeknight night. That said, they’re delicious enough to serve up as a vegetarian option when entertaining.
If you don’t have all of these vegetables on hand or want to mix things up a little, replace any of them with other grill-able veggies, such as eggplant, mushrooms or even asparagus. Anything will go! The avocado slices on top are optional, but lend a creamy finish to the tacos. Plus, the healthy fats will keep you feeling satisfied for longer.
Chop up the grilled vegetables, microwave the tortillas briefly to soften and fill each double-lined taco with a helping of the peanut sauce-tossed vegetables, a couple of slices of avocado, a drizzle of the peanut sauce and a sprinkle of cilantro. Vegan, gluten free (if using tamari instead of soy sauce), filling and absolutely delicious!
Other healthy Thai-inspired recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s 10-Minute Thai Shrimp, Cucumber & Avocado Salad
Cookin’ Canuck’s Thai Chicken Salad Recipe
Rasa Malaysia’s Ramen Noodle Salad
The Urban Acres’ Thai Curried Veggies & Shrimp
My Whole Food Life’s Thai Chickpea Curry
Grilled Thai Vegetable Tacos Recipe
Grilled Thai Vegetable Tacos…One of the tastiest meatless meals you’ll eat this summer! Also vegan and gluten free. 233 calories and 7 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
- 2 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch thick strips
- 1 small yellow squash, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch thick strips
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded & quartered
- 1/4 red onion, peeled & cut in half through the root
- 12 white corn tortillas
- 3/4 avocado, cut into 12 slices
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (or tamarifor gluten free)
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp honey or agave nectar (agave for vegan)
- 1/2 tsp chili garlic sauce
The peanut sauce
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Lightly brush with vegetable oil.
- Lay the zucchini and yellow squash strips on a baking sheet in a single layer. Brush on both sides with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Place the red bell pepper and onion in a medium bowl. Gently toss with the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Grill the vegetable until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes per side for the zucchini and yellow squash, 3 minutes per side for the onion and 2 minutes per side for the red bell pepper.
- Cut the zucchini, yellow squash and red pepper into ½-inch chunks. Cut off the root ends of the onions and cut the layers in half.
- Place all of the vegetables in a large bowl and toss with 3 tablespoons of the peanut sauce.
- Wrap the corn tortillas in a paper towel and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds to soften the tortillas.
- Using 1 tortilla per taco (use an extra if you're worried about them falling apart), divide the vegetables evenly between the tacos and top each with 2 teaspoons of peanut sauce, 2 slices of avocado and a sprinkle of cilantro.
The peanut sauce:
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!