Dig into this Instant Pot Chicken Stew with Farro for a dose of whole grains and lean protein. Stovetop instructions included. 336 calories and 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
Instant Pot Chicken Stew with Farro is the ultimate healthy comfort food, rich with lean protein and whole grains. And if you don’t have an electric pressure cooker, such as the Instant Pot, stovetop instructions are also included. If you do have one, you’ll be amazed at how easily this healthy stew recipe comes together.
While boneless, skinless chicken breasts have the reputation of being dry and flavorless, cooking them in the Instant Pot in an herb-flavored broth produces meat that is so tender that it practically falls apart into shreddable morsels.
(If you’re looking for additional healthy Instant Pot recipes, check out these recipes.)
If you’re not familiar with farro, it is an ancient whole grain that originally hails from Italy. Incorporate it into soups, salads and stews, or swap it for brown rice in side dishes. It has a nutty taste and a wonderful chewy texture, and can be cooked in about 30 minutes (quicker in a pressure cooker). Some of my favorite recipes using farro are this hearty soup and this pretty whole grain salad. It can be found in many grocery stores or on Amazon (affiliate link). I typically buy the Bob’s Red Mill version.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Stew
Saute the onion, carrots and celery in the Instant Pot (I use this one – affiliate link), using the Saute mode, until starting to soften. Next stir in the garlic, herbs and tomato paste. Pour in the chicken broth, then rest the chicken breasts and farro on top. Cook at HIGH pressure for 12 minutes (the Instant Pot will take about 15 minutes to come to pressure). Once the pressure is released, shred the chicken breasts, stir in the parsley, and season to taste. Easy and delicious!
How to make healthy chicken stew on the stovetop
The difference in this method is that the chicken is cut into bite-sized pieces and cooked in the saucepan, then set aside until the end. Saute the veggies and tomato paste, then stir in the chicken broth and farro. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the farro until tender. Stir in the chicken, reheat, add the parsley, then serve.
Other Healthy Instant Pot Recipes:
Instant Pot Chicken Stew with Farro
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 carrots cut into thin half-circles
- 2 large celery stalks diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 5 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup dry farro
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ cup minced flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instant Pot Directions:
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode. Heat the olive oil, then add the onion, carrots and celery. Saute the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, oregano and tomato paste. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts, farro, salt and pepper to the Instant Pot.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot, close the steam vent and set to HIGH pressure using the manual setting. Set the time to 12 minutes. It will take the Instant Pot about 15 minutes to reach pressure.
- Once the time is expired, use natural release for 10 minutes, then quick release.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board, shred with 2 forks, then transfer back to the Instant Pot. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Heat a large saucepan over medium-heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Heat the olive oil in the saucepan. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, oregano, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the farro and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the farro is tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the chicken and parsley. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!