This Vegan Instant Pot Mushroom Soup cooks up in no time, and is wonderfully creamy (but dairy free) and flavorful.
Vegan Instant Pot Mushroom Soup Recipe
When I first thought of making an Instant Pot mushroom soup, I envisioned a barley mushroom version, brothy and light. But then I had a wild craving for a childhood favorite, cream of mushroom soup, and I wasn’t going to be satisfied with anything else. We’ll leave the barley version for another day.
A few years ago, I shared a vegan mushroom soup that was rich with curry flavors and included a splash of coconut milk to achieve that creamy consistency while keeping the soup dairy free. That recipe was my launching point for this Instant Pot soup recipe.
Instant Pot Mushroom Soup
This recipe really couldn’t be easier. Start by sautéeing the vegetables in the Instant Pot, then add some vegetable broth and set the pressure cooker to high pressure for 10 minutes. Just so you can plan your dinner prep time accurately, the Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure before the cooking actually starts. That’s included in the cook time listed in the recipe below.
Once the soup is cooked, the only remaining step is to puree it in a blender with the coconut milk. A word to the wise…the soup is going to be hot, which means that the steam will be inclined blow the lid off of the blender. To avoid this, you could allow the soup to cool for several minutes.
I find that if I puree the soup in a two batches, holding the lid tightly on the blender, and then stopping the blender occasionally and lifting the lid to release the steam, I can avoid any soup explosions.
Serve this alongside a green salad and some good, crusty bread for a light lunch or dinner.
Other healthy Instant Pot recipes:
Vegan Instant Pot Mushroom Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large celery stalk chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled & chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms stems removed, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 cups high-quality vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup lite coconut milk
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode. Heat the olive oil, then add the onion, celery and carrots. Sauté the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, crimini and shiitake mushrooms, thyme and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are starting to release their liquid, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the broth and salt.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot, close the steam vent and set to HIGH pressure using the manual setting. Decrease the time to 10 minutes. It will take the Instant Pot about 10 minutes to reach pressure.
- Once the time is expired, carefully release the steam using the quick release valve.
- Transfer half of the soup to the blender, add the coconut milk, hold on the top and blend until almost smooth (leave a little bit of texture), stopping the blender and opening the lid occasionally to release the steam. Transfer the pureed soup to a pot or bowl. Repeat with the second half of the soup.
- If the soup needs to be reheated, return it to the Instant Pot and heat gently over the Sauté mode. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!