Brunch just got even better! These fluffy lemon blueberry pancakes are loaded with flavor. Your family will never know they’re healthy.
Lemon blueberry pancakes are the ultimate springtime or summertime brunch dish. The bright lemon flavor pairs well with sweet blueberries, and the fluffy texture soaks up blueberry maple syrup or regular maple syrup like a sponge.
This is a fantastic recipe for using up a bounty of fresh berries in the summer. However, they are equally as good when made with frozen berries. That means that these amazing lemon pancakes can be enjoyed year-round! We like to double down on the fruit by serving them with an easy mango fruit salad.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR BLUEBERRY MAPLE SYRUP:
These are the main ingredients needed for this recipe (affiliate links included)…
- FLOUR: Whole wheat pastry flour (Bob’s Red Mill is my favorite) has a nice light texture while also being whole grain. It’s available in some regular grocery stores, most health food stores and online. Alternatively, use a 50-50 mixture or all-purpose flour and white whole wheat flour.
- BAKING POWDER: Make sure your baking powder is fresh.
- LEMON: You’ll need both lemon zest and lemon juice. Use a zester to grate the bright yellow zest.
- MILK: I use nonfat (skim milk) in this recipe. However, Low-fat (1%), reduced fat (2%) or plant-based milk can be substituted. If using a plant-based milk, I suggest using one with a neutral flavor so it doesn’t overwhelm the lemon flavor. Soy milk is a good option.
- EGG: Use one large egg.
- OIL: Use a neutral tasting oil, such as avocado oil, canola oil or a light olive oil.
- MAPLE SYRUP: Use a tablespoon of pure maple syrup for the batter and more for serving. Or serve with my Blueberry Maple Syrup.
- BLUEBERRIES: Either frozen or fresh blueberries work here.
See recipe card below for full ingredients list & recipe directions.
💙What’s to love about blueberry pancake syrup:
▪️FLAVOR: Lemon and blueberry are just meant to be together. Fresh, bright and naturally sweet. Perfect for a springtime or summertime brunch.
▪️TEXTURE: Slightly crispy edges and pillowy soft inside. Pretty much the perfect pancakes!
▪️MAKE-AHEAD: The batter can be made up to 24 hours ahead of time. Transfer it to an airtight container and store in the fridge.
How to make blueberry maple syrup:
The instructions for making pancakes can be summarized into two points – stir it all together and cook. But let’s talk details…
- DRY INGREDIENTS: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt.
- WET INGREDIENTS: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, maple syrup, lemon juice and oil.
- COMBINE: Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Stir it until the flour is incorporated. Take care not to over stir. Over-stirred batters tend to produce tough pancakes.
- ADD THE BLUEBERRIES: Fold in the fresh or frozen blueberries with a rubber or silicone spatula.
- PREP THE PAN: Heat a medium or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. A cast-iron skillet is also fantastic for making pancakes. Give the pan a light misting of cooking spray and very lightly swipe with a paper towel. Do this between batches. If preferred, use butter to coat the skillet. If using an electric griddle, set it to 375 degrees F.
- COOK: Using a 1/4-cup measure, scoop the batter into the hot pan. Depending on the size of your pan, you should be able to fit 2 to 3 pancakes in the pan. Cook until bubbles appear on the top of the batter. Flip the pancakes and cook until the batter is cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- SERVE: Serve the pancakes as they come out of the pan or place them on a baking sheet and keep warm in a low oven until you finish cooking. Serve with maple syrup or maple blueberry syrup (highly recommend the latter!)
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes! There are a couple of options here. Make the batter up to 24 hours ahead of time and cook the pancakes right before serving. Be sure to bring the batter to room temperature before cooking. If the batter is too thick, add a splash of milk.
Freezing pancakes is a great option for quick breakfasts. Cook the pancakes, cool to room temperature, then stack with a piece of parchment in between. Place in an airtight freezer container and freeze. Reheat in the microwave, a toaster oven or the regular oven.
It’s very easy to transform most pancake recipes into vegan recipes. For this recipe, replace the nonfat milk with a neutral tasting plant-based milk, such as soy milk. Replace the regular egg with a flax egg. To make a flax egg, stir together one tablespoon of flaxseed and three tablespoons of water. Allow to rest for about 5 minutes before adding to the batter.
Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (See Note 1)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat milk (See Note 2)
- 1 large egg whisked
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or canola oil
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, maple syrup, lemon juice and oil.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Stir to combine, just until the flour is incorporated. Do not overstir.
- Add the blueberries and stir to combine.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray between each batch. Give the pan a light wipe with a paper towel after adding the cooking spray.
- Using about 1/4 cup of the batter per pancake, scoop the pancake batter into the hot pan, cooking in batches.
- Once the pancakes start to bubble, flip them over and cook until the batter is cooked all the way through. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the pancakes as they finish cooking or place them on a baking sheet and keep warm in a low oven.
- Serve with maple syrup or blueberry maple syrup.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.