Posted by https://www.cookincanuck.com/light-turkey-or-chicken-corn-chowder-recipe/
© 2013 Cookin Canuck. All rights reserved.
Light Turkey (or Chicken) & Corn Chowder Recipe
Loading nutrition data...
This light corn chowder recipe uses leftover turkey or chicken. It’s hearty, satisfying and a fraction of the calories of most chowders. 223 calories and 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked turkey (or chicken)
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Green onion, thinly sliced (for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, red pepper and garlic and cook until the vegetables are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the green chiles and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the corn and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Place the flour in a medium bowl and slowly whisk in the milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the soup, along with the salt and pepper. Cook, whisking frequently, until the soup is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the turkey (or chicken), Cheddar cheese and cayenne pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with green onions and serve.
Weight Watchers Points: 6 (SmartPoints), 6 (Points+), 5 (Old Points)