If I’m feeling the need for some, “Mum, you’re the best!” comments (hey, I have a middle schooler…I need a little shot in the arm sometimes), I just need to mention that I’m making chili for dinner. Never once has my family said, “Ugh, I don’t feel like chili” or “We just had that last week.” They are happy. Every single time.
As we started pulling together appetizer ideas for Super Bowl Sunday, such as Lightened-Up Buffalo Chicken Phyllo Turnovers and 5-Minute Black Bean Dip, I knew that chili had to be in the mix somehow.
The last thing I wanted was a soupy chili that would soak through the phyllo shells, so I made a version that is thicker than our regular dinner chili. And since I’m not digging the idea of spending Super Bowl Sunday standing over the stove (I want to watch the game!), this chili takes less than 30 minutes to pull together.
Once I made the chili, I pulled a couple of boxes of Athens mini fillo shells out of the freezer and filled them with dollops of chili and grated cheddar cheese. On game day, there will be multiple boxes in the mix, for these chili cups, as well as our favorite Mini Hummus & Roasted Pepper Phyllo Bites.
The Mini Fillo Shells can be served at room temperature, but hot chili calls for hot phyllo cups, so into the oven they went. Three minutes is all it took to warm up the shells and melt the cheese.
The result? I got a huge high-five from the kids when they came home from school and ate the leftovers for snack time. My “Best Mum” status was re-affirmed and we have a sure-fire winner on our hands for game day.
For additional Super Bowl recipes using Athens Mini Fillo Shells, check out Game Day Bites. For more details on the Fillo Dough and other Athens Foods products, be sure to follow them on Facebook, on Pinterest and Twitter.
Other healthy Super Bowl recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Lightened-Up Buffalo Chicken Phyllo Turnovers
Cookin’ Canuck’s Roasted Shrimp with Rosemary, Garlic & Lemon
Boulder Locavore’s Mini Taco Meatballs
Eat Yourself Skinny’s Baked Zucchini Sticks
Jessica in the Kitchen’s Cheesy Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
Mini Chili Filled Phyllo Cups
Whip up these healthy appetizer for game day.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup petite diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 chipotle pepper, seeded & minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 30 Athens Mini Fillo Shells (2 boxes), defrosted
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, oregano and tomato paste, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, beans, chipotle pepper and salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place the Mini Fillo Shells on a baking sheet. Fill each shell with 2 teaspoons of the chili and top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Athens Food. All opinions are my own.