When you make the commitment to healthy eating, but are a lover of anything in the bacon family, you have to make an internal deal with yourself. Mine involved continuing to eat bacon and its relatives, like pancetta, because cutting it out completely seems like an idea concocted by a madwoman.
But, of course, there has to be some level of moderation. Do not eat all of the bacon all of the time. Yep, moderation is the key to maintaining my sanity while still being able to fit into my jeans. The same rule applies to Brie cheese.
There is just enough pancetta in this crustless quiche to satisfy my occasional craving for the salty crunch. The rest of the quiche is packed with sautéed crimini mushrooms, flavored with smoked paprika and fresh thyme.
When you take the quiche out of the oven, the sides will likely be several inches high, rivaling the best-looking soufflés. It kind of freaked me out the first time I made a crustless quiche until I discovered that the sides drop to the level of the rest of the quiche within 5 to 10 minutes of being removed from the oven.
If you have leftovers after serving this for brunch (I’m thinking Mother’s Day!) or dinner, just cover them and store in the fridge. Reheat them in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute just before you’re ready to serve them. It’s so handy for quick breakfasts during the week!
Other healthy brunch recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Strawberries & Cream Scones
Cookin’ Canuck’s Poached Eggs over Avocado & Smoked Salmon
Nutritious Eats’ Eggs in a Spinach Nest with Sriracha
For the Love of Basil’s Healthy Lemon Zest & Blueberry Oat Pancakes
Food with a View’s Green Smoothie with Wild Herbs
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #COOKINCANUCK and I’ll be sure to find it.
Pancetta & Mushroom Crustless Quiche Recipe
|Serving Size||1 wedge ||
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 151kcal Calories from fat 94|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 10g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Serve this light Pancetta and Mushroom Crustless Quiche for brunch (think Mother's Day) or dinner. The leftovers are great for quick breakfasts during the week.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
- Place the pancetta in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Cook until the pancetta is crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer the pancetta to a paper towel to drain. Discard the fat from the skillet and wipe the skillet with a paper towel.
- Place the nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the fresh thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, water, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared pie dish.
- Sprinkle the pancetta and mushroom mixture evenly over the eggs.
- Baked until the egg is set in the center and starting to brown, about 25 minutes.
- Let the quiche cool for about 10 minutes, garnish with parsley and cut into 6 wedges. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!