This southwestern turkey rice casserole is a fantastic mix of spices, vegetables and lean protein. It all comes together in about 30 minutes for a healthy dinner.
This is not the first turkey rice casserole I’ve made, and there’s a very good reason for that. Each time I come up with a new version, I’m struck by how easy it is to throw in a different combination of spices and vegetables, and be rewarded with a new healthy dinner option. It doesn’t hurt that my family always seems to love each turkey rice casserole. The Greek-style version got them hooked and the teriyaki version carried on the love fest.
The beauty of these turkey rice casserole recipes is that they all follow the same blueprint, making it very easy to vary the flavors depending on what’s available in your kitchen. Start by cooking the ground turkey with some chopped onion, add herbs/spices and garlic, then mix in the veggies, a sauce of some sort to stop the casserole from drying out and any other extras that strike your fancy.
Scoop the whole concoction into a baking dish, top with some cheese if it fits with the flavors and bake for about 20 minutes to heat through. That’s it.
I usually serve the casserole with some sort of vegetables on the side, either a salad, stir-fried veggies or steamed broccoli. It rounds out the meal perfectly.
Other healthy ground turkey recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Baked Turkey, Quinoa & Zucchini Meatballs
Cookin’ Canuck’s Greek Turkey, Rice & Feta Casserole
Skinnytaste’s Turkey Sante Fe Zucchini Boats
Primavera Kitchen’s Ground Turkey Soup with Veggie Roots
The Garlic Diaries’ Loaded 21 Day Fix Pizza
Southwestern Turkey Rice Casserole Recipe
|Serving Size||1 cup ||
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 316kcal Calories from fat 87|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 10g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||32%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Southwestern Turkey Rice Casserole…Spices, vegetables, turkey and rice come together for an easy, healthy weeknight dinner! 267 calories and 7 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 oz. canned diced green chiles
- 1 (14 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup salsa (your favorite kind)
- 1 cup black beans, reduced sodium, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat an 11- by 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium high heat. Add the ground turkey and onions. Cook, breaking up the turkey, until the turkey is just cooked through.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the rice, diced green chiles, diced tomatoes, salsa, black beans, corn and cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Cook until heated through, about 20 minutes. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!