Kick off your day with a Spinach Avocado Breakfast Quesadilla. High on protein and filled with flavor! Thank you to the California Avocado Commission for helping me share this recipe with you.
When it comes to my breakfast and dinner choices, I’m a study in opposites. When it comes to dinner, “variety” is my middle name. Rice noodles on one day, roasted salmon the next night and vegetarian chili the night after that. But when it comes to breakfast, I turn into my most cantankerous self if I inadvertently run out of the ingredients for my favorite breakfast.
The “favorite breakfast” changes depending on the season, but sticks around for a month or two before I move off to the next idea. When fresh blueberries and raspberries appear in the summertime, I crave nothing but yogurt parfaits. But right now, I have eyes only for fried eggs with avocado and hot sauce. Just the thought of it makes me want to hop into the kitchen to make a second batch for lunch!
This spinach and avocado breakfast quesadilla, complete with a few shakes of my favorite hot sauce, is an ode to my breakfast of the moment. While this recipe is quick and easy enough to pull of on a weekday morning, I’ve decided it’s going to be my family’s weekend brunch tradition as long as California avocados are in season. That means we get to enjoy these quesadillas throughout the spring and summer every year. Racking up extra mum/wife points for that call!
The beauty of quesadillas is that you can switch things up depending on the ingredients you have on idea. Don’t have Cheddar? No problem – try some feta or smoked Gouda instead. Want to go gluten free? Sub corn tortillas for the wheat ones in this recipe. But the one thing I won’t relinquish is the avocado. There’s just something about the creamy texture, paired with the softly scrambled eggs and slightly crispy, golden brown tortillas, that just works.
When we make quesadillas, we set up an assembly line to make everything go as smoothly as possible. Prep everything first – scramble the eggs, grate the cheese, slice the avocado – then assemble each quesadilla once the skillet is hot. We often serve the quesadillas as soon as they come out of the pan, but if you prefer to serve them all at once, keep the finished ones in a warm oven.
Other breakfast recipes with avocado:
Sweet Potato Hash with Creamy Avocado Sauce
Quinoa Avocado Breakfast Bowl
Low-Carb Baked Eggs with Avocado & Feta – from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Black Bean & Egg Tostadas – from Aggie’s Kitchen
Southwestern Cauliflower Breakfast Pizza – from All Day I Dream About Food
Spinach Avocado Breakfast Quesadilla
Kick off your day with a Spinach Avocado Breakfast Quesadilla. High on protein and filled with flavor! 238 calories and 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites and water.
- Set a large skillet over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Cook, scraping the pan occasionally, until the eggs are scrambled and just set. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Place 1 tortilla in the pan and top half of the tortilla with ¼ each of the cheese, scrambled eggs, hot sauce (several good shakes), California avocado and spinach.
- Fold over the other side of the tortilla to form a half-circle. Press down with a spatula as the cheese melts to seal the quesadilla. When the bottom is golden brown, flip the quesadilla and brown on the other side.
- Remove the quesadilla from the pan, cut into thirds and garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas, cheese, scrambled eggs, hot sauce, avocado and spinach.
Disclosure: This post is part of an ambassadorship with California Avocados. All opinions are my own. This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!