Kick off your day with an Egg & Avocado Breakfast Quesadilla. Lots of protein & filled with flavor, it can also be served as a light dinner.
Thank you to the California Avocado Commission for helping me share this recipe with you.
This amazing egg and avocado breakfast quesadilla holds one of the top spots on my "favorite breakfasts" list. And let me tell you, when it comes to breakfast, I turn into my most cantankerous self if I inadvertently run out of the ingredients for my favorites.
The “favorite breakfast” changes depending on the season, but sticks around for a month or two before I move off to the next idea. When fresh blueberries and raspberries appear in the summertime, I crave nothing but yogurt parfaits. But right now, I have eyes only for avocado toast with egg & tomato, topped up with some hot sauce. Just the thought of it makes me want to hop into the kitchen to make a second batch for lunch!
KEEP IN TOUCH
and receive recipes straight to your inbox!
This spinach and avocado breakfast quesadilla, complete with a few shakes of my favorite hot sauce, is an ode to my breakfast of the moment. While this recipe is quick and easy enough to pull of on a weekday morning, I’ve decided it’s going to be my family’s weekend brunch tradition as long as California avocados are in season. That means we get to enjoy these quesadillas throughout the spring and summer every year. Racking up extra mum/wife points for that call!
The beauty of quesadillas is that you can switch things up depending on the ingredients you have on idea. Don’t have Cheddar? No problem – try some feta or smoked Gouda instead. Want to go gluten free? Sub corn tortillas for the wheat ones in this recipe. But the one thing I won’t relinquish is the avocado. There’s just something about the creamy texture, paired with the softly scrambled eggs and slightly crispy, golden brown tortillas, that just works.
When we make quesadillas, we set up an assembly line to make everything go as smoothly as possible. Prep everything first – scramble the eggs, grate the cheese, slice the avocado – then assemble each quesadilla once the skillet is hot. We often serve the quesadillas as soon as they come out of the pan, but if you prefer to serve them all at once, keep the finished ones in a warm oven.
Other avocado breakfast recipes:
Egg & Avocado Breakfast Quesadilla
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites and water.
- Set a large skillet over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Cook, scraping the pan occasionally, until the eggs are scrambled and just set. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Place 1 tortilla in the pan and top half of the tortilla with ¼ each of the cheese, scrambled eggs, hot sauce (several good shakes), California avocado and spinach.
- Fold over the other side of the tortilla to form a half-circle. Press down with a spatula as the cheese melts to seal the quesadilla. When the bottom is golden brown, flip the quesadilla and brown on the other side.
- Remove the quesadilla from the pan, cut into thirds and garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas, cheese, scrambled eggs, hot sauce, avocado and spinach.
This post was first published on May 22, 2017 and updated on March 18, 2021.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.