Kick off your morning with a slice of this vegan avocado toast with hummus. Pickled onions add a fantastic pop of flavor and turn this into a breakfast you’ll want to eat over and over again!
Vegan Avocado Toast with hummus is something I eat four or five times every week. My usual toast is stacked with broccoli sprouts, tomato and cucumber slices.
But this week I had an extra batch of pickled red onions sitting in my fridge. In my early morning bleariness, it finally dawned on me how amazing they would be with avocado. Was I ever right! The tanginess of the onions adds that distinctive pop of flavor and blends perfectly with hummus and avocado.
I officially deemed this the best avocado toast ever! Fighting words, huh?
If you’re not aiming for a completely plant-based breakfast, try my Avocado Toast with Egg & Tomato. Another favorite when I’m in an egg-y kind of mood.
What you need for this vegan avocado toast:
These are the main components of this recipe (affiliate links included):
- Bread: Any type of toast-worthy bread will do, but I opted for a whole wheat thin sliced one. I used this Franz’s bread, which is just 60 calories per slice.
- Avocado: Avocados come in all different sizes, which makes it a bit difficult to calculate the nutritional information. In the recipe, I called for two-thirds of a Hass avocado, which tend to be on the larger aside. Adjust accordingly depending on the side of your avocados.
- Hummus: Plain hummus will do, but I like to add a little zip with a flavored hummus. The jalapeño and cilantro hummus from Trader Joe’s is a favorite around here.
- Pickled onions: Follow my recipe for pickled red onions. The onions can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and can be used with everything from tacos to avocado toast.
- Seasoning: We are in love with Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Seasoning, which includes sesame seeds, dried garlic and onion, salt and poppy seeds. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you or don’t want to buy it online, any sesame seed seasoning mix will do.
Tips for making this avocado toast:
There’s nothing difficult about this avocado toast, but I have a couple of quick tips for you.
Start by toasting the bread. I like a medium darkness for my toast – not too crunchy, but cooked enough so that the seeds on the outside of the bread get that wonderful “almost burnt” flavor.
The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of pickled red onions per piece of toast, but do what works best for your taste buds. You might prefer less or, like me, pile them high.
Other flavor combinations:
If pickled onions aren’t your thing, try some of these other avocado toast-hummus combos:
Mediterranean: Sprinkle feta cheese and sliced kalamata olives over top, and layer on cucumber slices. Leave off the feta for a vegan toast.
Southwestern: Season the hummus with cumin, paprika and oregano. Or substitute mashed black beans for the hummus. Top with tomato slices or a drizzle of salsa.
Italian: Instead of the hummus, mash some cannellini or white kidney beans with oregano, lemon juice and salt. Layer tomato slices on top.
Other healthy breakfast recipes:
Vegan Avocado Toast with Hummus
- Toast the bread.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the back of a fork. Season with the salt.
- Spread 1 tablespoon hummus on each slice of bread. Divide the mashed avocado between the two slices.
- Top with pickled red onions and sprinkle with the sesame seasoning blend. Serve.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.