Jan 19
2011

Greek Turkey Meatball Sandwich Recipe

Greek Turkey Meatball Sandwich Recipe Final

Feel sorry for my family…very sorry. After celebrating my fortieth birthday nearly two weeks ago and being treated to a wonderful surprise party by my husband and friends, I am now sinking into the post-holiday blues, which means that a grumpy little troll (that would be me) will be wandering aimlessly around the house for several days. These are the kind of blues that makes a girl want to stuff juicy turkey meatballs into hoagie rolls and eat to her heart’s content. Seems like a logical panacea. Well, that and a case of Heath bars. The January doldrums actually started last week, but then were quickly swept aside by another surprise my family had in store for me.

At about 10 pm on Thursday night, I was tucked into bed, engrossed in my book when the doorbell rang. At that time of night, a visitor at the front door is never a good thing. I crept downstairs, baffled as to why my husband had not investigated the disturbance, and cautiously peeked through the front window. At the sight of my face plastered to the glass, the people on the front porch broke into an enthusiastic version of Happy Birthday. My parents had flown from Canada, in cahoots with my husband and kids, to surprise me. It doesn’t get much better than that. After a weekend of wonderful dinners, fun activities with the kids, and treasured quiet moments in each other’s company, my parents have headed home and we are back to our regular pre-holiday routine. While there is comfort in regular life, it will take me several days to bounce back to form…and a few bottles of Tums to deal with that case of Heath bars.

In keeping with healthy eating goals, I wanted to make an easy weeknight meal that would be at home in my post, New Year’s Recipes for Good Health. Ground turkey is mixed with Greek-inspired flavors of roasted red bell peppers (try roasting your own), oregano, and myzithra (or feta) cheese. While regular hoagie rolls would work well, I was inspired to try the whole-wheat rolls found in Zoe Francois and Jeff Hertzberg’s books, Healthy Breads in Five Minutes a Day. This is a book well worth adding to your collection. I have made several recipes from it, and the bread consistently turns out tender and flavorful. Plus, the recipes seem to be foolproof, a bonus for a bread-making novice like me.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Thoroughly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

TurkeyMeatballSandwich1

In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, roasted red bell peppers, grated onion, garlic, parsley, dried oregano, egg, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.

TurkeyMeatballSandwich2

Mix well to combine. Using a rounded 2 tablespoon portion of the turkey mixture, form meatballs by rolling between the palms of your hands. Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly.

TurkeyMeatballSandwich3

Bake until the meatballs are firm to the touch and cooked through, about 20 minutes.

TurkeyMeatballSandwich4

In a large saucepan, heat your favorite marinara sauce over medium heat until simmering. Add meatball and stir to coat. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.

Preheat broiler. Place hoagie rolls on large baking sheet, divide the meatballs and sauce evenly on the bottom halves of the rolls and top each with 1 tablespoon myzithra (or feta) cheese. Broil for about 1 minute, or until the buns are slightly toasted. Serve.

Greek Turkey Meatball Sandwich Recipe LS

Other meatball sandwich recipes:

The Pioneer Woman’s Mini Meatball Sandwiches
Pardon My Crumbs’ Perfect Meatball Sandwich
Hungry Bruno’s Turkey Meatball Banh Mi Sandwich

Greek Turkey Meatball Sandwiches

1 1/4 lb. ground turkey meat (preferably not extra-lean)
1 roasted red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 medium yellow onion, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 egg
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

3 cups marinara sauce (your favorite kind)
6 hoagie rolls, preferably whole-wheat
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp crumbled myzithra or feta cheese

In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, roasted red peppers, grated onion, garlic, parsley, dried oregano, egg, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.

Serves 6.

1 Chow and Chatter January 19, 2011 at 4:15 am

wow what an amazing birthday present and what a sandwich love it

2 Monet January 19, 2011 at 5:15 am

This post brought such a wide smile to my face! What a wonderful family you have…and I'm sure they feel equally as blessed to have you! And these meatball subs look and sound just amazing! I was drooling by the time I reached the end of your post. Thank you for sharing your tasty sandwich with me. I hope you had a great day…may tomorrow be even better!

3 Prerna@IndianSimmer January 19, 2011 at 6:19 am

That looks SO good! Just woke me up out of sleep and now I wanna make it right now at 1:00 am in the morning :-)
Happy Birthday Belated!!

4 warmvanillasugar January 19, 2011 at 12:27 pm

This sandwich would have been an absolute favorite when I was a kid! Yum!

5 Just Cake Girl January 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Amazing recipe :) i'm drooling now :))

6 bellini valli January 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm

What a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday and the aftermath.

7 briarrose January 19, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Yum….great meal. A nice, healthier version of the meatball sub. Which gives you wiggle room to reward that healthy eating with a Health bar for dessert. ;)

8 EatLiveRun January 19, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I love the looks of this because I'm not a lamb fan and many Greek meatballs are lamb! Turkey is where it's at. :)

9 Elizabeth January 19, 2011 at 4:07 pm

What a great surprise for you! Though I would have been slightly perturbed at my husband for not checking out the offending noise in the middle of the night!

These sandwiches look fantastic and the rolls, I do think I need to try my hand. I've made lots of bread, but never hoagie buns…it's a challenge!

10 danasfoodforthought January 19, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I love Greek flavors and use turkey meat in just about everything! This sounds like my kind of recipe!

11 Val January 19, 2011 at 4:11 pm

This sandwich looks wonderful! I just found your blog via Pioneer Woman, and have already printed out three of the first four recipes I've read. I live in the Midwestern US, and have a husband who is very into the savory/salty thing. I think he'll find your dishes perfect!

12 Maria January 19, 2011 at 4:14 pm

What a mighty sandwich! Glad you had a nice birthday!

13 thecountrycook January 19, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I always love reading your posts. I think we all understand the post-holiday blues (and getting older :)
This looks wonderful. Way to go for sticking with your new year's goals!

14 Lauren's Latest January 19, 2011 at 4:37 pm

What a great surprise! You have a great husband!

15 burntapple January 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Glad you had a good birthday. This sandwich looks incredible!!

16 Mushrooms Canada January 19, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Well, Happy {Belated} Birthday to you Dara! This recipe looks so good – I love any type of meatball sandwich!

17 ravienomnoms January 19, 2011 at 5:18 pm

oh wow, look at you! Those turkey meatballs look to die for!

18 Wilde in the Kitchen January 19, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Thanks for making it a turkey meatball rather than beef! THis sounds super yummy, love the 'greek' touches!

19 Kori January 19, 2011 at 6:12 pm

My mouth is watering….One of my favorite treats is a turkey meatball sandwich at a local organic restaurant in town. This looks even better, though, so I'll have to make it at home! Yum! Enjoy your time with your family :)

20 Steph January 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I love that these are made with ground turkey! I'm all about making comfort food a little light. And I must say I cannot stop staring at your pictures. I have to add this to my meal plan next week!

21 Jenny January 19, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Oh how I'd love this for lunch right now! Yum!

22 Kristin King January 19, 2011 at 7:34 pm

What a fantastic birthday for you?? :) You have a very special and loving family! These meatballs look fantastic – I love using ground turkey for different items. Saving this recipe!

23 Jessica's Dinner Party January 19, 2011 at 8:13 pm

This sandwich MUST have taken you out of the post holidays blues!

24 Cakewhiz January 19, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I am happy this is a turkey meatball sandwich rather than a beef meatball sandwich. I like to try different meatballs. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

25 Belinda @zomppa January 19, 2011 at 8:51 pm

What a fantastic meal!! I love it…drooling….

26 Peggy January 19, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Your family is awesome for surprising you! These meatball sandwiches sound absolutely delicious!

27 Drick January 20, 2011 at 12:34 am

now if that doesn't rid the doldrums, I don't know what will – nothing about this sounds like it is diet food for sure and I am all for it… so glad your family surprised you and you had a nice visit, even the candy bars

28 Tracy January 20, 2011 at 1:29 am

How wonderful! The sandwiches look amazing too. I'm always looking for new meatball recipes and I love that yours uses turkey!

29 Pegasuslegend January 20, 2011 at 4:31 am

Now thats one heck of a sandwich sub…love it!

30 whatsfordinneracrossstatelines January 20, 2011 at 6:15 am

Happy Belated Birthday! 41 is much easier, I promise. Love this sandwich, I need some lighter recipes to shed of the holidays. Have a great week.
-Gina-

31 Rosemary January 20, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I do believe I am bread baking challenged, so I truly appreciate your suggestion of a (near?) foolproof book.

32 Cake Duchess January 20, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Sounds like your birthday was perfect! This sandwich looks wonderful!! I love it!

33 JustforLicks January 20, 2011 at 6:33 pm

That just looks amazing! That's what I want for lunch. Now! :)

34 Cookin' Canuck January 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Thanks so much for all of your comments.

This sandwich will be making a regular appearance in our dinner line-up.

35 Shulie January 20, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Happy Birthday Dara!! This post and the red quinoa salad before are absolute keepers. How have I missed them?! I also love your banner, is it new or am I guilty of not visiting enough?! Love your recipes and photographs and will refer to both these recipes in the near future for dinner or lunch.

36 HollyL January 20, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Oh My! This looks amazing! I just had lunch, but if this was right in front of me I'd eat it! Looks so good!!

37 Angie's Recipes January 20, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Happy belated Birthday!
And I would love to celebrate my birthday with such a sandwich!

38 The Food Hunter January 20, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Happy Birthday to you…I love your Greek inspired meatballs.

39 marla January 20, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Dara, that is so exciting that your folks surprised you with a visit. By the way, you are so uplifitng I could never imagine you in a bad mood. Really.
These meatball sandwiches look wonderful. Smothered in that sauce – I could dive right in! Hope you are all smiles now.

40 thenewlywedchefs.com January 21, 2011 at 3:11 am

Yum!!

41 Farida January 21, 2011 at 5:47 am

Delicious MeatBall and the great recipe.

farida

42 Denise January 23, 2011 at 5:25 am

Happy Birthday!! I just turned the dreaded 4-0 also (bday is 9/11!), and thankfully it wasn't as bad as the year leading up to it. Man…talk about a mind trip. I guess it was relief when I finally hit "the day" and got past it ;) I also made sure to do something FUN, and that I had never done before. So I made my hubby take me kayaking out on the intracoastal waterway (we live in South Florida). It was AWESOME!! So think of something that you want to do! Also planning on celebrating this as the birthday year!!

You can't go wrong with a warm, cheesy, saucy meatball sub! These look SO good, and are making me hungry again. Thanks for sharing about your big day…I've yet to do a post on mine.

Denise @ Creative Kitchen

43 Kevin January 25, 2011 at 3:06 am

That meatball sandwich looks so good! Nice flavours in the meatballs!

44 Sandy September 6, 2011 at 9:39 pm

These look amazing. My boyz love meatball sandwiches and will really like the Greek spin you put these.