Jun 23
2012

Watermelon Limeade Vodka Cocktail Recipe & TV Fun

Watermelon Limeade Vodka Cooler Recipe & TV Fun

Things are heating up around here. I mean really heating up. Bring on the cocktails (watermelon + limeade + vodka = good!) Ask anyone who knows me well…I don’t “do” hot temperatures. In fact, the only place I can imagine sitting when it’s 95+ degrees is directly on top of the air-conditioning vent. It’s not pretty.

I eat things that require opening the fridge multiple times (cool breeze) and I turn on the oven only if someone is threatening me with something like, “Make me a pizza or your cat gets it!” Just for the record, that’s never actually happened. But yeah…I’d crank the oven to 500 degrees to save the kitty, even on a 100 degree day.

Cold drinks are a sure-fire remedy to the steamy days and this watermelon limeade cocktail, with a splash of vodka, does the trick nicely. Not only is it cold, but it takes about 5 minutes to make, from start to finish.

One of our favorite summertime cocktails is an icy Watermelon Mojito. This vodka cocktail is a riff on the mojito recipe. However, since I’m watching my sugar intake, I left out the simple syrup. I promise that you won’t miss it if you use a ripe watermelon, one with plenty of natural sweetness. Could this drink be made into a kid-friendly drink? Of course! Just leave out the vodka. Scroll down for the recipe.

TV Fun:
Thursday afternoon was a tad bit different than usual weekday afternoons around here. A producer (thanks, Jane!) and cameraman (you were great, Thompson!) from our local NBC’s affiliate (KSL) daytime show, Studio 5, came to our home to film some clips about my health and weight loss journey.

Studio5ShootCollage1

The afternoon started with Thompson filming my good friend (and running partner), Staci and I running down the street in our workout clothes. Staci then got the “up close and personal” treatment in front of the camera while she answered questions and talked about the app she introduced me to (MyFitnessPal) that got me started on this journey in the first place. You rocked it, Stace!

Studio5ShootSK

My husband, Steve, and both of our boys got their time in front of the camera too, giving sweet and thoughtful answers about the whole journey and the parts they played in helping me reach my goal. xoxo

Studio5ShootSMT
Pulling their thoughts together.

The best part, however, was the family soccer game we played in the backyard, with the camera rolling as we dribbled, shot and giggled.

The segment will be airing in July or August. I’ll be sure to post a link once it’s available.

Back to the cocktail!

In a blender, combine the watermelon cubes, lime juice and vodka. Puree until smooth.

Watermelon Limeade Vodka Cooler Recipe & TV Fun

Fill two collins glasses with ice, pour the watermelon cocktail over top and garnish with lime slices. Serve and sip.

Other summertime cocktails:

From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com

Ingredients

• 1/4 large watermelon, cut into cubes
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 4 oz. vodka
  • Ice
  • Lime slices (for garnish)

Instructions

1. In a blender, combine the watermelon cubes, lime juice and vodka.
  2. Puree until smooth.
  3. Fill two collins glass with ice and pour the watermelon cooler over top. Garnish with lime slices. Serve.

1 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) June 23, 2012 at 9:14 am

Congrats on the feature, Dara! Hope you’ll be able to share the footage with us after it airs. :)

Your cocktail looks so refreshing as is I would miss the simple syrup either. This is so perfect for combating the summer heat! My husband and I have visited a friend in SLC to ride our bikes in summertime (you’ve got so many beautiful hills to ride)–this drink would be the best reward after a grueling hill ride. :)

2 patsy June 23, 2012 at 9:17 am

How exciting to have a tv crew come and talk to you and your family about your weight loss success story!

Those drinks look like they’d help quench our thirst on these hot days recently!

3 Gerry @ Foodness Gracious June 23, 2012 at 9:22 am

I love the cocktail…umm the kids will do okay here with milk and I’ll polish off the melon ;) Congrats on the t.v. stardom and your awesome journey!!

4 Sally June 23, 2012 at 9:41 am

Dara, so cool about the tv segment. I think it will help a lot of people to ‘see’ your story. Excited for you, but bottom line: you worked hard and it is very inspiring to see someone make a change when they decide to it. Change is hard. Keep your faithful readers in the loop!

5 Lorii Abela June 23, 2012 at 9:53 am

The cocktail surely looks refreshing. Thanks for the recipe.

And by the way, congratulations!

6 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. June 23, 2012 at 9:53 am

This looks amazing! Congrats on your segment! Am I going to see you in Park City in July?

7 Aggie June 23, 2012 at 10:02 am

I can’t wait to see this segment. I’ll be keeping an eye out for it! Miss you friend!

That cocktail looks wonderful! :)

8 Barbara | Creative Culinary June 23, 2012 at 10:31 am

We can say we knew you when!!

Love this cocktail; I’ve got a watermelon coming in my CSA box next week; I can’t wait to make something; might be very similar but I’m thinking tequila? I’m on a journey to make a margarita for every fruit out there it seems. :)

9 Laura (Tutti Dolci) June 23, 2012 at 10:44 am

This looks so refreshing!! Congrats on the feature – hope we’ll get to see the footage!

10 judee @ Gluten Free A-Z June 23, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Contratulations on the weight loss, the feature, and how great you look!
All I can say about the watermelon drink is — amazing!

11 Kay @ The Church Cook June 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Congrats on the feature, Dara! Can’t wait to see you and your fam! It’s heating up here in Savannah, GA, lots of pool time! Have a great weekend!

12 Ali @ Gimme Some Oven June 23, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I love it!!! So proud of you and your incredible story. I can only imagine how many people you are going to encourage and inspire!!

Love all of the pics. And this cocktail sounds SO delicious and refreshing! A perfect way to beat this crazy summer heat!!

13 kelley June 24, 2012 at 8:03 am

I can’t wait to see the segment. You are an incredible inspiration and role model, Dara!

14 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm

that sounds so delicious and refreshing! a prefect summer drink! :)

15 Liz June 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I can’t wait to see your interview!!! What fun!

And this has got to be the epitome of a summer cocktail….so refreshing and delish!

16 thyme (Sarah) June 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I’ve fixed this drink before. I love the watermelon flavor in it. You are right. It is hot, hot, hot…we’re in TX. And….I like it not, not, not! Fall is my friend. What a wonderful weight loss journey…we have also nixed the sugar and it has been an amazing change in our weight. Each of us has lost 10 pounds in the last 3 months. Forces us to eat lots of veggies and wrap our sandwiches in big crunchy cabbage leaves.

17 JulieD June 25, 2012 at 12:11 am

This looks so good & refreshing!! I have to make these at our next et together!

18 Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables June 25, 2012 at 8:45 am

such a cool opportunity Dara! You look great :)

19 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel June 25, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Congrats on the feature, Dara! So cool. And this drink… sheesh it just screams summer!

20 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen June 25, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Can’t wait to see the segment Dara, you’re a natural on camera!

21 Jen at The Three Little Piglets June 25, 2012 at 6:01 pm

How fun! I still get so excited for you when I see you picture pop up somewhere!

22 soft serve ice cream machine July 1, 2012 at 6:39 am

I bet this drink is really good. It will definitely quench my thirst with the summer heat around.

23 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles July 3, 2012 at 7:03 pm

It is sooooooo hot here. And this looks sooooooo good!

24 Andrew July 7, 2012 at 10:22 am

Thank you so much for sharing. That is so refreshing and healthy! I am using a portion control supplement called Roca Labs and I think it’s okay to get tempted with these low calorie treats. I can still keep my average weight loss goal of 1 – 2 lbs a week.

25 Jennifer (Savor) July 9, 2012 at 4:10 am

I am so proud of you Dara – sticking to the fitness lifestyle needs to be commended….now pass the drink

26 Annalise July 17, 2012 at 8:40 am

I don’t do hot temperatures either. And this summer has been the worst! I’ve been eating a lot of watermelon, but whenever I don’t manage to finish it off before it starts to turn, I always puree it up and turn it into a drink. So refreshing!

Can’t wait to see the TV segment!

27 Roz@weightingfor50 July 23, 2012 at 2:18 pm

That cocktail looks fantastic. I’m in a “cook off” with a citrus theme in a couple of weeks. I may “borrow” your recipe for the cocktail category. If I do, I’ll link back to your site and give you recipe credit Dara!!!! So exciting to have a tv crew come over!!! Congrats on all your success and your healthy living. All the best from me in Vancouver to you over the border!!!

28 how to make vodka July 24, 2012 at 4:13 am

they look perfect!!! I’ve been trying to get more into cocktails because ahem, apparently you look sophisticated and sexy with a cocktail drink in your hand. The strawberry martini looks gorgeous.

29 haine online July 26, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I’m really loving the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility problems? A few of my blog audience have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera. Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?

30 Tiffanys and Co July 27, 2013 at 2:59 am

I’ve been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.

31 how to lose weight October 18, 2013 at 6:46 am

Whats up are using Wordpress for your site platform? I’m new to
the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own.
Do you require any html coding expertise to make your own blog?
Any help would be really appreciated!

32 how to get a lot of views on youtube November 28, 2013 at 2:00 am

you are in reality a just right webmaster. The website loading velocity is amazing.
It seems that you are doing any distinctive trick.
Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a wonderful job in this matter!

33 www.youtube.com March 8, 2014 at 9:44 am

Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thanks, However I am experiencing problems
with your RSS. I don’t know why I am unable to subscribe to it.
Is there anybody getting identical RSS issues? Anyone who knows the answer will you kindly respond?

Thanks!!

34 Laurence April 14, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Wow, this piece of writing is fastidious, my younger sister is analyzing such things,
thus I am going to let know her.