I wish I could say that I’m one of those people who has my meal plan for the coming week beautifully laid out by Sunday evening, ready for an efficient, once a week (ha!) trip to the grocery store.
*Pop* Dream over.
In reality, it’s 5pm on a weekday and I have no flippin’ idea what I’m making for dinner. If I’m lucky, I may have thought to defrost some chicken or salmon earlier in the day, or picked up some ground turkey or pork chops during my all-too-regular grocery runs.
Brown Rice Noodles
And then there are the times when I’m not even organized enough to defrost or purchase (humor me and tell me I’m not the only one!) At that point, a mad scrabble through the pantry ensues. For those of us who are organizationally challenged, a well-stocked pantry is a necessity. Well, unless your family is okay with eating sandwiches or scrambled eggs every night. That would never happen in my house.
(Hark, how large thou nose doth grow!)
One of our pantry staples is rice noodles, either for soups like this one or one of our favorite dinners, Rice Noodles with Chicken, Asparagus & Soy Ginger Sauce. Either dish takes only 20 to 30 minutes to prepare, but I look like a rock star because my family thinks that rice noodles are from heaven.
This soup is one of those meals that will warm you to your toes, without being too heavy. Because the broth is so light, I happily eat this at any time of year. If you have leftovers, you may need to add a little more broth when you reheat the soup, as the noodles tend to absorb the liquid the longer they rest.
(Housekeeping note: If you’re on Yummly – a great way to save your favorite recipes to your personalized recipes box, with shopping list options included, please note that I’ve added a “Yum” button at the top of each post so you can easily add any of my recipe that you want to save. See you over on Yummly!)
Other 30 minutes dinner recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Easy Braised Balsamic & Herb Chicken
Cookin’ Canuck’s One-Pot Chicken Sausage & Bean Ragout
Cotter Crunch’s Gluten Free Egg & White Bean Tostadas
Joyful Healthy Eats’ Harissa Lime Grilled Chicken Salad with Creamy Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
The Wanderlust Kitchen’s Vietnamese Chicken & Cabbage Salad
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 12 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 7 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce*
- 6 oz. brown rice noodles
- 4 cups chopped kale
- Lightly coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Set over medium heat and add the canola oil.
- Add the mushrooms and ginger, and cook until the mushrooms are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, soy sauce (or tamari) and hoisin sauce, bring to a boil, then lower to heat to medium.
- Stir in the rice noodles and cook until the rice noodles are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and cook until the kale is slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Serve.
* For gluten-free, be sure to use gluten-free hoisin sauce and soy sauce (tamari).
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!