Baked eggs are an easy and healthy make-ahead meal. This version is filled with zucchini, yellow squash and capers.
Baked eggs with summer vegetables is the perfect way to use up your summertime produce. I used zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes, but this recipe works equally well with other vegetables, such as mushrooms and asparagus.
Last week, I picked several crookneck squash, zucchini, and tomatoes from my garden. Fresh veggies and herbs, eggs and capers in the fridge...an idea slowly took shape.
After chopping and sautéing the vegetables, and mixing them with basil, fresh mozzarella and capers, I dished the vegetable mixture into some ramekins, cracked some eggs over top, and baked them. I was rewarded with a healthy, flavorful, and quick meal.
The beauty of baked egg dishes is that you can add almost any vegetables (okay, or bacon or prosciutto) that you have on hand and come up with a satisfying meal.
How to make baked eggs with summer vegetables
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped crookneck or yellow squash, zucchini and tomatoes.
Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the capers.
Sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.
Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in some of the basil leaves and the bocconcini (mini mozzarella balls) or fresh mozzarella cut into ½-inch pieces.
Divide the vegetable mixture between two ramekins. Crack two eggs into each ramekin, taking care not to break the yolks. I didn't follow my own directions very well, did I?
Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake until the whites are almost cooked.
Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese. For a vegetarian dish, use Parmesan cheese made with vegetable rennet rather than calf rennet. If you can't find any, substitute with another vegetarian-friendly cheese or omit it altogether.
Bake for 2 additional minutes, or until the white are cooked and the yolks are still soft.
Sprinkle each serving with chiffonaded fresh basil and serve immediately.
Baked Eggs with Summer Vegetables
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow or crookneck squash ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped zucchini ½-inch pieces
- ⅔ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons capers
- ⅓ cup chopped bocconcini or fresh mozzarella ½-inch pieces
- 6 large basil leaves chiffonaded and divided
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese See Note
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add crookneck or yellow squash, zucchini, and tomatoes. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir in capers. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in 4 large fresh basil leaves, chiffonaded, and bocconcini.
- Divide the vegetable mixture between two ramekins.
- Crack two eggs into each ramekin, taking care not to break the yolks.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake until the whites are almost cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Bake for 2 additional minutes, or until the white are cooked and the yolks are still soft.
- Sprinkle each serving with the remaining basil. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.