This Blended Super Greens Soup is filling and healthy, and is made even more delicious with a sprinkle of spiced pepitas.
The ingredients list for this super green soup is like a walk through the leafy section of the supermarket produce department. Kale, Swiss chard, spinach…it’s all here and blended together into this hearty soup. But don’t forget those spiced pepitas because they just might be the star of the show. Considering that half of the pepitas mysteriously disappeared from the baking sheet before the soup was served (ahem, sneaky little hands), I would say that my boys agree.
I learned long ago that it’s easy enough to make a creamy soup without a drop of cream. There are a few ways to do this:
- Blend together the cooked vegetables and herbs or spices with some broth, as seen in this bell pepper soup.
- Add cooked beans (Great Northern beans in the case of this super greens soup) to the mixture, then blend.
- Add cooked rice to the mixture, then blend.
- Make a roux, using a little oil or butter and flour, then add milk, as I did with this turkey chowder.
Packing the soup full of super greens means that it’s full of vitamins and minerals. And let me point out that there are also 14 grams of fiber and 17 grams of protein in one serving, so it will easily hold you over to your next meal.
Blended Super Greens Soup with Spiced Pepitas
Blended Super Greens Soup with Spiced Pepitas…This vegan soup is packed with flavor and nutrients and the spiced pepitas are nothing short of addictive! 285 calories and 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 bulb roasted garlic (see How to Roast Garlic)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 (14 oz.) can Great Northern beans, drained & rinsed
- 4 cups roughly chopped Swiss chard (stems removed)
- 4 cups roughly chopped kale (stems removed)
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 3/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, paprika, salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into a small bowl, add ½ cup of the broth and smash with the back of a fork.
- Stir the roasted garlic and broth mixture, along with the red wine vinegar, into the onions.
- Add the remaining 3 ½ cups of broth, beans, Swiss card and kale to the saucepan. Bring the a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the greens are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for 1 minute.
- Let the mixture cool for about 10 minutes. Use a handheld immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, puree the soup in a blender in batches, taking care to release the steam periodically and holding down the top while the blender is running.
- Stir in the nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with the spiced pepitas sprinkled on top.
Other super green recipes:
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!