Toss these Caprese Chicken Foil Packets in the oven or on the grill for an easy dinner. They're great for a make-ahead camping meal, too!
This recipe for Caprese Chicken Foil Packets needs just a few fresh ingredients – chicken, basil, garlic, tomatoes and fresh mozzarella – and a handful of pantry staples.
These easy foil packets can be cooked over the grill or in the oven. Plus they travel well, which makes them an equally handy option for camping or a family meal on your own back patio.
Plenty of time leftover for wine sipping, napping and frolicking, which is what lazy summer days are all about!
Ingredients for chicken foil packets:
These are the main ingredients needed for this recipe…
- CHICKEN BREASTS: Use boneless skinless chicken breasts. Trim off any extra fat.
- TOMATOES: Use the sweetest tomatoes you can find. Either chop whole tomatoes, or cut grape or cherry tomatoes in half.
- BASIL: Lots of fresh basil! The chicken is cooked with whole basil leaves, then garnished with sliced basil before serving.
- CHEESE: Use fresh mozzarella, not the processed blocks of mozzarella. Either a log of fresh mozzarella or bocconcini (mini mozzarella balls) work in this recipe.
- OLIVE OIL: Use olive oil to coat the chicken pieces.
- SEASONING: Season with balsamic vinegar, fresh garlic, dried oregano, salt and black pepper.
See recipe card below for full ingredients list & recipe directions.
💙 What’s to love about caprese chicken packets:
▪️DELICIOUS! All of the flavors of your favorite caprese salad in this easy chicken meal! Sweet tomatoes, melted mozzarella and fresh basil make this dish shine.
▪️COOK 3 WAYS: Foil packets are so versatile. They can be grilled, baked in the oven or cooked over a campfire.
▪️MAKE-AHEAD: Prep the packets ahead of times, then cook right before serving. This is especially handy if you’re packing these for a camping trip.
KEEP IN TOUCH
and receive recipes straight to your inbox!
How to make chicken foil packets:
SLICE THE CHICKEN: Trim any pieces of fat off the chicken, then cut the breasts into 1-inch strips.
SEASON THE CHICKEN: Transfer the chicken to a medium-sized glass bowl. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss to coat the chicken.
MAKE THE PACKET: Each packet uses two pieces of aluminum foil, each about 12 inches long. Arrange the two pieces of foil in an X, overlapping the foil pieces. Repeat for the second packet.
FILL THE PACKETS: Divide the chicken mixture between the two packets, arranging the chicken in the center of each X. Lay some whole basil leaves on top of the chicken and sprinkle the chopped tomatoes over top.
SEAL: Fold the foil over top of the ingredients and pinch to seal. Make sure the packets are sealed well so that nothing escapes when the packages are flipped on the grill.
TO GRILL: Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Place the foil packets directly on the grill and cook until the chicken is just cooked through, flipping the packages halfway through. The total cook time is approximately 20 minutes, about 10 minutes per side.
TO BAKE: Place the foil packets on a baking sheet and bake until the chicken is just cooked through, flipping the packets halfway through., about 2o minutes total.
ADD THE CHEESE: Carefully open the packets (they’ll be hot!). Remove and discard the wilted basil leaves. Arrange the cheese over the chicken and tomatoes. Grill or bake for another few minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
SERVE: Unwrap the packets, garnish with sliced basil and serve.
How to prep foil packets for camping:
These chicken foil packets, along with this foil dinner, are fantastic for camping.
Prep the packets ahead of time, sealing the foil well, and place in resealable plastic bags or an airtight container. Be sure to keep them in a reliable cooler with ice or ice packs so that the temperature is at 40 degrees F or below.
Wrap up the cheese separately and store in the cooler.
When ready to cook, remove the foil packets from the plastic bags and place the packets over the grill/fire. Cook for about 10 minutes per side, then carefully (watch out for the hot steam!) open the foil packs and add the cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted.
What to serve on the side:
Whether you’re serving this meal on your back patio or at the campsite, here are a few side dish ideas that can be made ahead and travel well:
- Grilled Potatoes with Rosemary – our all-time favorite summertime side dish!
- Pesto Butter Corn on the Cob
- Watermelon slices
- Quinoa, Avocado & Blueberry Salad - cut and add the avocado immediately before serving.
- Hoisin Snap Pea & Red Cabbage Slaw – travel with the dressing store separately and toss altogether before serving.
- Black Bean & Corn Salad
- Air Fryer Zucchini or Balsamic Grilled Vegetables
Can I add other vegetables to the packets?
Sure! Some of my favorite veggies for foil packets are zucchini, onions, green beans and red bell pepper. Red potatoes, like in these Salmon Foil Packets, are a great addition.
Caprese Chicken Foil Packets
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 4 whole basil leaves
- 2 ounce fresh mozzarella sliced
- 4 basil leaves thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- In a medium glass bowl, combine the chicken, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Using 2 pieces of foil per packet (each 12 inches long), form an X by overlapping the foil. Alternatively, use one sheet of heavy duty foil.
- Divide the chicken mixture in half and place in the middle of the foil. Lay the whole basil leaves on top, and sprinkle the tomatoes over top of the chicken. Wrap the piece of foil over the chicken and tomato mixture, pinching the foil to seal. Repeat with the rest of the foil, chicken and tomatoes.
- Place the foil package directly on the grill and cook until the chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes per side.
- Alternatively, place the two foil packets on a baking sheets and cook in a 400 degree oven, about 10 minutes per side.
- Carefully unwrap the foil (the steam will be hot!), remove the whole basil leaves with tongs and layer the mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken. Gently wrap again on place on the grill until the cheese is melted about 5 minutes.
- Unwrap and sprinkle with basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
This post was originally published on July 12, 2017 and was updated on May 23, 2022.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.