Toss these Caprese Chicken Foil Packets in the oven or on the grill for an easy dinner. They’re great for a make-ahead camping meal, too!
Something happened last week that absolutely made my whole summer. Or at least I’m living in anticipation of it for the next couple of weeks. In a roundabout way, I got in touch with the couple who now own the cottage that my grandparents built back in the 1950s and where I created so many summertime memories with my family throughout my childhood. This couple has lived next door to the cottage for years, and knew and adored my grandparents. When my dad and aunt decided to sell the cottage after my grandparents passed away years ago, the couple bought it and have maintained it as a place for family and friends to stay. A guesthouse of sorts.
The long and the short of this story is that our little family of four will be driving to the oceanside cottage just north of Vancouver in a couple of weeks, and staying for a long weekend. I’m holding back the tears as I write that because the thought of staying in the cottage where I spent so many happy days as a kid and being able to introduce my boys to the wonders of that peaceful enclave brings me such joy.
The plan is to load up on groceries on the first morning, then hunker down at the cottage for the next three days. Kayaking, swimming in the ocean, going on long walks, picking blackberries and lounging. Plenty of lounging. As much as I love cooking, the last thing I want to do is spend the weekend in the kitchen. So, I’ll be throwing together easy dinners, including these caprese chicken foil packets to toss on the grill.
By the way, these chicken foil packets, along with this foil dinner, are fantastic for camping. Prep the packets ahead of time, wrap up the cheese separately, and cook everything over the campfire.
This recipe needs just a few fresh ingredients – chicken, basil, garlic, tomatoes and fresh mozzarella – and a handful of pantry staples. While the packets are grilling, boil or grill some corn, and put together a simple green salad. Thirty minutes later, dinner is served.
Plenty of time leftover for wine sipping, napping and frolicking. I can’t wait!
Caprese Chicken Foil Packets
Toss these Caprese Chicken Foil Packets in the oven or on the grill for an easy dinner. Great for camping! 307 calories and 5 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 4 whole basil leaves
- 2 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 4 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- In a medium glass bowl, combine the chicken, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Using 2 pieces of foil per packet (each 12 inches long), form an X by overlapping the foil. Alternatively, use one sheet of heavy duty foil.
- Divide the chicken mixture in half and place in the middle of the foil. Lay the whole basil leaves on top, and sprinkle the tomatoes over top of the chicken. Wrap the piece of foil over the chicken and tomato mixture, pinching the foil to seal. Repeat with the rest of the foil, chicken and tomatoes.
- Place the foil package directly on the grill and cook until the chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes per side.
- Alternatively, place the two foil packets on a baking sheets and cook in a 400 degree oven, about 10 minutes per side.
- Carefully unwrap the foil (the steam will be hot!), remove the whole basil leaves with tongs and layer the mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken. Gently wrap again on place on the grill until the cheese is melted about 5 minutes.
- Unwrap and sprinkle with basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!