These Grilled Paprika Yogurt Chicken Kabobs are so good and so easy that they’re bound to become a summertime staple!
When asked what my favorite grilled food is, I vacillate wildly between carnivorous and herbivorous tendencies. While I adore meatless meals, such as Grilled Zucchini & Eggplant Parmesan or Grilled Thai Vegetable Tacos, I am never one to turn down a great turkey burger or grilled chili pork chop.
And then there are kabobs. All the meat and veggies you could want, all on one handy stick. If you prefer to go meatless, load up on veggies such as peppers, zucchini, mushrooms and onions. For a meat lover’s version, thread pieces of marinated steak, chicken, lamb or pork onto skewers. Or do a little mixing and matching for the best of both worlds.
Marinating chicken in yogurt, like in this yogurt chicken kabob recipe, is common in tandoori and many Middle Eastern recipes. The yogurt helps to tenderize the meat while also adding a tangy flavor that takes on a variety of spices with the greatest of ease. I opted for smoked paprika and rosemary, one of my favorite spice combinations. It’s fantastic on everything from grilled potatoes and onions to popcorn. If you haven’t tried Smoked Paprika & Rosemary Olive Oil Popcorn, you haven’t lived!
Wooden skewers have always been my grilling “stick” of choice, but I recently became enamored with this metal skewer set (affiliate). Nothing slips off of these suckers!
If you choose to go the wooden skewer route, be sure to soak them in warm water for at least 30 minutes before threading on the chicken and veggies, otherwise you may start a small bonfire in your barbecue.
Serve these yogurt chicken kabobs over turmeric rice and alongside some grilled asparagus or zucchini.
Grilled Paprika Yogurt Chicken Kabobs
These Grilled Yogurt Chicken Kabobs are so good and so easy, that they’re bound to become a summertime staple! 237 calories and 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
- 1 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed & cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 red onion, rings separated & cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- In a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, lemon juice, 1 ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, rosemary, 1 teaspoon salt and garlic powder. Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- Place the onion and red bell pepper pieces in a medium bowl. Toss with olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. If using wooden skewers, soak in warm water for at least 30 minutes. Lightly brush the grill with canola oil.
- Thread the chicken (shake off and discard excess marinade), onion and red bell pepper pieces onto 6 skewers. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Grilled until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!