You're only 10 minutes away from this bright and delicious Mediterranean Cucumber Salad, with roasted peppers, artichokes, feta and a light balsamic dressing.
We make this Mediterranean Cucumber Salad recipe at least once a week around here. Sometimes with chickpeas and Kalamata olives, other times with spinach mixed in and sometimes without feta for a vegan salad. And it's fantastic topped with grilled halloumi cheese!
While a tomato cucumber salad is a more classic example of a Mediterranean salad, this version is a fantastic variation that highlights some easily accessible pantry items – roasted red peppers and canned artichokes. Both versions fall nicely into the category of Mediterranean diet recipes that are understandably popular. Fresh, healthy ingredients with plenty of flavor.
It takes about 10 minutes to make, chopping the cucumbers and roasted peppers, and is flavored with fresh and dried herbs, and a 2-ingredient dressing. What's not to love?!
Serve this easy salad alongside kabobs, such as Grilled Paprika Yogurt Kabobs or Grilled Shrimp Kabobs. Or serve it with my favorite Greek Stuffed Peppers, Grilled Salmon Burgers or Rosemary Oven Baked Chicken Breasts.
What you need for this Mediterranean Cucumber salad:
These are the main components of this recipe (affiliate links included):
- Cucumber: English cucumbers have a wonderful flavorful and can be eaten with the skin on.
- Roasted peppers: Look for roasted peppers that are packed in water or roast peppers at home.
- Artichoke hearts: Look for canned artichoke hearts that are packed in water. They’re either sold whole or quartered.
- Feta cheese: A couple of tablespoons adds just the right amount of tangy, salty flavor.
- Herbs: Dried oregano and parsley. Fresh basil and mint are also great additions.
- Dressing: All you need is 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil.
Tips for making this Mediterranean salad recipe:
This cucumber salad recipe is really just a matter of chopping and stirring – nothing too complicated.
- The easiest way to achieve half-circle cucumber slices is to cut the English cucumber in half lengthwise, then cut into thin slices.
- Some roasted peppers are packed in halves and others as whole peppers. Use a whole pepper for this cucumber recipe. Roasted peppers are also a breeze to make at home. Follow the directions in How to Roast Bell Peppers.
- Gently stir together the vegetables so that the artichoke heart quarters don’t fall apart. They’re so pretty when they maintain they’re shape!
- I like to sprinkle the oregano, salt and pepper over the vegetables, then stir in the mixture of balsamic vinegar and balsamic vinegar. If preferred, whisk all of these ingredients together first, then pour over the veggies.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can this be made ahead of time?
This salad is best when served within a couple of hours of making it. However, it can be made up to 12 hours ahead of time. Cover and store it in the refrigerator. As the salad rests, the vegetables start to release liquid and soften, and the salad loses the best of its "crunch".
How do I make this salad recipe vegan?
That’s an easy one…yes! Simply leave out the feta cheese or substitute with a vegan version, like A Virtual Vegan’s homemade Vegan Feta Cheese.
What other vegetables could use instead?
If you don’t have all of the ingredients on hand or want to switch up the flavors, try tomatoes, avocado, pepperoncini (for a little zip!), hearts of palm, un-roasted bell peppers or red onions. Try my Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad with Grilled Halloumi!
For the herbs, add or swap in fresh basil or mint. If you’re an olive fan (yes, please!) stir in some quartered Kalamata olives.
Other quick side dish recipes:
Greek Sugar Snap Peas
5-Minute Spicy Stir-Fried Cabbage
Cauliflower Salad with Pepperoncini & Peppers
Three Bean Salad
Mediterranean Cucumber Salad
- ¾ English cucumber cut into thin half-circles (about 1 ¾ cups)
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into thin 1-inch long pieces
- 4 canned (in water) artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the cucumber, roasted red pepper, artichoke hearts, feta cheese and parsley. Sprinkle the oregano salt and pepper over top.
- In a small bowl, stir together the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Drizzle over the cucumber mixture. Stir gently to coat the vegetables with the dressing. Serve.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
EASY TO MAKE. FAMILY LOVES IT!
So happy to hear it!