Who can resist a plateful of Honey Garlic Turkey Meatballs?! Great as appetizers or served over rice as an easy dinner. 239 calories and 7 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
We are fans of all-things-meatballs in this house. Every day when they walk through the door after school, my boys ask me what we’re having for dinner (they are their mother’s boys – always thinking of the next meal). If the answer involves meatballs of any kind, I am rewarded with a fist pump and hug. Baked Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs are their all-time favorites, but over-sized Italian Turkey Meatballs and Baked Salmon Meatballs (with a creamy avocado sauce!) are just as popular.
The inspiration for these honey garlic meatballs came from a Cooking Light Magazine spiced chicken thigh recipe that I’ve been making for years. The basic spice rub for the chicken turned into a mix-in of spices, including chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and cayenne pepper, for the meatball mixture, and the honey-apple cider glaze is brushed onto the meatballs in the last couple of minutes of baking time.
The most time consuming part of making meatballs is rolling them into even little spheres. My trick is to use a cookie scoop to evenly portion out the turkey mixture, followed by a quick roll between my palms. Once I get on a roll (so to speak), it takes no more than five minutes to finish the task.
While I served these over brown rice with a side of spicy stir-fried cabbage as an easy dinner, I’m also tucking this recipe into my appetizer files. Stick a toothpick or a fancy appetizer pick into each meatball. They are guaranteed to disappear from the appetizer table in minutes!
Honey Garlic Turkey Meatballs Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 yellow onion grated
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs or regular panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix well.
- Using a scant 2 tablespoons per meatball (a medium cookie scoop works well), form meatballs by rolling the turkey mixture between the palms of your hands. Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs until just cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey and apple cider. Brush the meatballs with the honey mixture. Bake for additional 2 minutes. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!