Talk about flavor! These Indian Spiced Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa have it in spades. Plus, they're healthy and take just over 20 minutes to make! 252 calories and 6 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
Indian Spiced Shrimp Tacos Recipe with Avocado Salsa
It was clear from the first time I tried this recipe for Indian spiced shrimp tacos with avocado salsa that it was going to be a regular on our meal plans. A simple combination of dried spices produces the most amazing flavor and golden brown crust on plump, juicy shrimp.
I've always been a sucker for fusion-inspired tacos for Taco Tuesday or any other day of the week. It all started when I fell head over heels for these Teriyaki Shrimp Tacos (one of my all-time favorite recipes on my site), then my lust doubled with these Grilled Thai Vegetable Tacos and Grilled Chimichurri Steak Tacos.
I'm convinced that you can make almost any flavors work in taco form!
As much as I wish I could take credit for this healthy shrimp taco recipe, I must 'fess up that that it came from the creative mind of Lauren Grier, the force behind the blog Climbing Grier Mountain and author of the new book, Modern Comfort Cooking: Feel-Good Favorites Made Fresh and New (affiliate link).
Not only is Lauren's photography beautiful and her recipes easy to follow, but she comes up with some of the most innovative recipe ideas in the blogosphere. Plus, she's quite simply a lovely person - smart, sincere and joyful. All of which comes through in her cookbook.
There are so many fantastic recipes in this book, including Moroccan Meatloaf with Tomato-Harissa Sauce, Twice-Baked Chicken Shawarma Stuffed Potatoes and Loaded Zucchini Meatball Subs. One of each, please!
This easy shrimp taco recipe comes together in about 20 minutes, making it a fantastic option for weeknight dinners or easy entertaining. Toss the shrimp in the spice mixture and sear them in a skillet until just cooked through (remember not to overcook - no rubbery shrimp, please). Set aside the shrimp while you make the avocado tomato salsa, which can be made as mild or spicy as you like by varying the amount of diced jalapeño.
Last step...warm the tortillas in a skillet or wrapped in a damp towel then microwaved. Assemble and enjoy!
Lauren's recipe is perfect as it is, but I brought the fat grams and calories down slightly by reducing the amount of avocado per serving and decreasing the olive oil in the salsa, which are reflected in the recipe below. If you want to stay true to Lauren's recipe, use 2 avocados and 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
Indian Spiced Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled & deveined
- 1 tablespoon ghee clarified butter
- 8 6-inch taco-size whole wheat soft tortillas, toasted*
- lime wedges for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the turmeric, paprika, coriander, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and ground pepper. Add the shrimp to the bowl with the spices and toss to combine.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add the clarified butter and shrimp. Cook the shrimp for a bout 1 minute, flip and cook for an additional minute or until the shrimp start to curl and become golden brown. Remove the shrimp from the skillet and set it aside on a plate.
- To assemble the taco, take a few pieces of shrimp and place them into the tortilla. Top with some avocado salt and more lime juice. Serve.
- For the salsa, mix together the avocado, grape tomatoes, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, olive oil and 1 teaspoon of the kosher salt.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!