My family’s all-time favorite homemade cranberry sauce recipe. Sweetened with maple syrup and brown sugar, it pairs perfectly with roast turkey.
When I asked my two boys what they were looking forward to the most about the traditional Thanksgiving feast, they both exclaimed, “Cranberry sauce!” And then came pumpkin pie, turkey, mashed potatoes… Okay, perhaps their palates aren’t that discerning, but the heaps of cranberry sauce that are shoveled into their little mouths unceremoniously are enough of an endorsement for me. I found this recipe about 10 years ago in Bon Appétit Magazine and it quickly became a family favorite. Mixed with pure maple syrup (I beg of you, don’t use the fake stuff) and brown sugar, the cranberries cook down to a sweet and tangy jewel-toned sauce. I froze most of the sauce in anticipation of American Thanksgiving and Christmas, but we couldn’t resist first pairing it with pork tenderloin. It would work well with Sausage, Mascarpone Cheese & Spinach Pork Tenderloin (leave out the red wine reduction sauce).
In a large saucepan, combine 24 ounces fresh cranberries (do not thaw), 1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup,
1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar, 1/2 cup water, and 3/4 teaspoon maple extract.
Stir well. The cranberries look like little jewels at this stage. I could stare at them all day.
Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the cranberry mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until the cranberries pop, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl and cool completely.
Maple & Brown Sugar Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- 24 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon maple extract
- In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, maple syrup, brown sugar, water, and maple extract. Stir well. Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the cranberry mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until the cranberries pop, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl and cool completely.