Looking for a low carb dinner recipe? These Ragu Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are a fantastic way to enjoy the taste of your favorite spaghetti meal while cutting back on carbs.
Those who know me know that I have a thing for mushrooms. That meaty texture, earthy flavor and ability to transform any dish into something spectacular ranks them #1 on my veggie scale.
HOWEVER…not a single person in my family likes mushrooms. Not my husband, who is the epitome of a healthy eater. Not my two boys, who have always been adventurous when it comes to fruits and vegetables. Where did I go wrong?!
So, sometimes I take pity on myself and whip up a shroom-centric recipe that I can enjoy for lunch when I’m home alone. Some of my favorites are this Instant Pot Mushroom Soup, this Kale, Mushroom & Goat Cheese Quesadilla and a Warm Kale Salad with Caramelized Onions & Mushrooms.
In my mind, one can never have too many healthy stuffed portobello mushroom recipes, so I’m adding these Ragu Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms to my collection of oven baked portobello mushroom recipes and grilled versions.
Ragu Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
There are two main parts to this recipe and both of them are easy. The sauce and the mushrooms.
For the sauce, I made a simple ragu, using lean group beef, crushed tomatoes, chopped veggies and herbs. Feel free to substitute ground turkey for the beef if you prefer.
While the sauce is simmering, scoop out the gills from the mushrooms, brush them with a little olive oil and roast in the oven until they start to become tender.
One important step…be sure to pour out any liquid from the mushrooms before stuffing them. Once the mushrooms are filled with the ragu, top with some grated mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven.
Gooey, cheesy perfection while still being low in saturated fat and carbs. A mushroom lover’s heaven!
Other healthy portobello mushroom recipes:
Southwestern Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Cumin Black Beans
Healthy Turkey, Zucchini & Rice Casserole (yep, there are portobellos in there)
Portobello Baked Eggs with Spinach & Smoked Gouda
Ragu Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
These Ragu Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are a fantastic way to enjoy the taste of your favorite spaghetti meal while cutting back on carbs. 193 calories and 3 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
- 1 ¼ tsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion
- ½ large carrot, diced
- ½ large celery stalk, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- ¾ lb. lean ground beef (93% lean)
- 14 oz. crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tsp + 1/8 tsp salt, or to taste
- 3 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- 3 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- 6 tbsp grated part skim mozzarella cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetable are becoming tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley and basil, and season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the stems and scrape out the gills from each portobello mushroom. Brush the top of the caps with olive oil and season the inside of each cap with salt and pepper.
- Place the mushrooms in a single layer in a 9- by 13-inch glass baking dish. Bake until the mushroom are becoming tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Decrease the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Pour the liquid out of each mushroom cap and arrange them in the baking dish.
- Scoop a rounded ½ cup portion of the sauce into each mushroom cap. Top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve.
Weight Watchers Points: 3 (Freestyle SmartPoints), 3 (SmartPoints), 5 (Points+)
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!