15 Healthy Easy BBQ Sides! From salad to grilled potatoes, make the side dishes the star of the show at your next barbecue.
It’s summer barbecue time, which means that it’s time to pull out my favorite easy bbq sides! They are the side dish recipes that I come back to over and over again because they are so good that they often outshine the main dish.
As much as I dislike the 90+ degree F days of summer (that’s my Canadian blood speaking), I’m always reminded of all of the good things that summertime brings, including copious amounts of fresh produce.
Strawberry and avocado recipes have been taking a starring role around here, and now we’re ready to dive into recipes using blueberries (hello, blueberry goat cheese crostini!), watermelon, sweet corn and heirloom tomatoes.
It’s a glorious time of year!
Healthy Easy BBQ Sides
Below are 15 of my favorite barbecue side dishes. I divided the recipes into four sections.
Click on the category to skip directly to those recipes or just scroll through to see them all.
- Grilled Potato Recipes
- Corn, Zucchini & Tomato Recipes
- Pasta Salad Recipes
- Green & Grain Salad Recipes
What are the best ways to make that produce shine?
- Use fresh herbs generously. Basil, mint, rosemary, thyme…to name just a few…can boost flavor while cutting back on fat. The more herbs I use, the less olive oil or butter I need to add for flavor.
- Acid is where it’s at. The food kind, people! A squeeze of lemon or lime, or a couple of teaspoons of vinegar adds brightness and miraculously ties together all of the flavors.
- Spice it up. Take a deep dive into your spice rack and start experimenting with some of those flavors. Use paprika, chili powder, cumin and thyme in my Grilled Spice Rubbed Chicken. Or pull out the smoked paprika for my favorite Grilled Potatoes. Be fearless in trying different spice combinations. It’s hard to go wrong!
- Caramelization. Use the grill or roasting pan to caramelize veggies. That process adds a layer of flavor and smokiness that can’t be beat.
The post was originally published on July 3, 2014 and updated on July 1, 2020.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.