You probably have everything in your pantry and fridge to make this healthy and delicious Vegan Potato Soup with Beans and Kale. Perfect for weeknights! 211 calories and 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP. Thank you to The Little Potato Company for helping me share this recipe with you.
This past weekend was one of great excitement for our family. Since moving to the Seattle area in June, we've been renting a townhouse while navigating the crazy (!!) housing market here. Thanks to our amazing real estate broker and some serious patience, we finally closed on a house on Friday and moved in over the weekend. Boxes, boxes, everywhere, which means that we are focusing on meals born of pure convenience and ease. If the ingredients aren't already in the fridge and pantry, or the necessary pans are hidden away in a box, the meal just ain't happening.
There was a night of take-out pizza in the midst of moving, but after signing over virtually every penny (or so it seems) to the bank, cooking at home is necessary for our wallets. And let's be honest, for our waistlines. This 40-something body can only take so many pizza nights before my jeans begin to protest. Veggies, veggies and more veggies is the order of the day, and this healthy vegan potato soup fits the bill. It doesn't hurt that this recipe requires only one large saucepan, which means less rummaging through boxes, plus less dishes to wash.
One of the ingredients that I always keep on hand is a bag of my favorite Creamer potatoes from The Little Potato Company. If we're not including them in slow cooker soups, roasted vegetable side dishes or fun appetizers, my son is microwaving a handful of them for an afternoon snack. My little chef seasons them with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of rosemary or cumin, and dips them into ketchup. For this vegan potato soup, I used the Blushing Belle varietal, but any of the Creamer potato varietals would work well.
This soup is very versatile, so feel free to change up the mix-ins depending on what is available in your kitchen. No kale? Use spinach, escarole or Swiss chard. Out of Great Northern beans? Substitute cannellini or kidney beans, or even chickpeas.
Vegan Potato Soup Recipe with Beans & Kale
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large stalk celery diced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes less to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ pounds Little Potato Company Creamer potatoes I used Blushing Belle, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 7 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 14 ounce can of Great Northern beans, drained & rinsed
- 4 cups chopped kale
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot, and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, rosemary, thyme, red pepper flakes and pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes and vegetable broth, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Decrease heat slightly and cook at a lively simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt. Serve.
Other healthy recipes with Creamer potatoes:
Cookin' Canuck's Mediterranean Roasted Potato Nachos
Cookin' Canuck's Roasted Potatoes & Onions with Blue Cheese
I Love Vegan's Vegan Pesto Potatoes
The Lemon Bowl's Greek Potato Salad
Cocoa Bean, The Vegetable's Creamy Cashew Curry Soup
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company. All opinions are my own. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.