Give yourself a healthy and delicious breakfast boost with these whole wheat banana nut waffles. Perfect for weekend brunch! 160 calories and 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
Stumbling through the door after a long run on a cold morning, my mind flip-flops between two choices. Hot shower or big breakfast? Both will happen eventually, but I have to wrestle with my priorities. In the end, the breakfast always wins. Really, this choice is inevitable. I think about food all day, every day…why should the minutes post-run be any exception?
More importantly, my body craves healthy protein and carbs following a run. So, out come the whole wheat pastry flour (this provides a lighter texture than regular whole wheat flour), raw walnuts and overripe bananas. For an extra dose of fiber and omega-3s, I sprinkle in some wheat bran and ground flax seeds. Neither of these are detectable, so as long as your family doesn’t watch you make the batter, they will never know that you spiked their waffles with “healthy stuff”.
While most waffles call for whipped egg whites for added leverage and lightness, this easy recipe cuts out that step without sacrificing that light texture that makes a plate full of waffles so alluring.
Whenever possible, I substitute natural sweeteners for processed sugars. In this case, sweet, overripe bananas take the place of granulated sugar, and the bananas also lend moisture so that the oil can be cut back to the bare minimum.
All of these healthy changes means one thing…an extra slice of bacon. Well (ahem)…and a healthy, strong body that will be refueled and ready to take on the day.
Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Waffles
Give yourself a healthy and delicious breakfast boost with these whole wheat waffles, flavored with sweet bananas and walnuts. 160 calories and 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat milk
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
- Maple syrup, for serving*
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour, flaxseed, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Stir in the milk and canola oil.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the bananas and walnuts.
- Heat a square or round waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions. Coat lightly with cooking spray. For a 6-inch round waffle iron, use 3/4 cup batter for each waffle. Adjust accordingly for smaller or bigger waffle irons.
- Cook until the waffles are golden brown. Serve with heated maple syrup.
*Not included in the nutritional information.
Weight Watchers Points: 4 (Freestyle SmartPoints), 4 (Points+)
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.