It’s no secret that I have a thing for ginger and fruit. Some of my favorite desserts include Blackberry & Strawberry Crisp with Gingersnap Crust, Rhubarb Fool with Whipped Cream & Gingersnaps and Pink Grapefruit & Orange Compote with Ginger Yogurt. When it came to whipping up a batch of whole wheat pancakes, adding sweet, juicy berries seemed like the obvious choice. I naturally weaved my way over to the spice cabinet and plucked the ground ginger off of the shelf.
Marionberries are the fruit of choice in our house lately because we discovered that Costco sells a big bag of these frozen purple berries. I made a Green Tea smoothie with them a couple of days ago and they often star in my morning Breakfast Parfait. However, any berry will do in these hearty, but light pancakes. Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, huckleberries…knock yourself out.
Weekend mornings are a time for special breakfasts, a little different from the standard weekday bowls of cereals and pieces of toast. However, since the weekend is typically full of physical activity – soccer games for M, digging in the back field for T, and long runs for my husband and me – we still want something healthy that can give us fuel for the day. That’s where these whole wheat pancakes come in. Filled with whole grain flour, no added fat and plenty of cinnamon and ginger, they make a satisfying and healthy breakfast.
Don’t forget to stop by this post to enter a great OXO giveaway, and for a tasty smoothie recipe.
In a large bowl, whisk one large egg. Add the flour…
baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger and salt. Pour in milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
Mix well. Add berries and mix again.
Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat or heat a griddle to 375 degrees F. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the griddle.
When the pancakes start to bubble on top, flip them over and cook until the batter is cooked all the way through.
Serve with fresh fruit and syrup.
Other whole grain pancake and waffle recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Whole Wheat Waffles with Blueberry Maple Syrup
Smitten Kitchen’s Blueberry Yogurt Multigrain Pancakes
Orangette’s Oatmeal Pancakes
My Little Celebration’s Amaranth & Oat Griddlecakes
Eat Your Vegetables’ Oat Waffles
Whole Wheat Pancake Recipe with Ginger & Berries
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup skim milk or more if batter is too thick
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey, agave nectar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries I used marionberries
- maple syrup or fruit syrup
- In a large bowl, whisk one large egg. Add the flour, milk, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt. Mix well. Add blueberries and mix again.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat or heat a griddle to 375 degrees F. Using a ⅓ cup measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the griddle. When the pancakes start to bubble on top, flip them over and cook until the batter is cooked all the way through.
- Serve with fresh fruit and syrup.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.