The words “zucchini pancakes” always summon images of crispy pan-fried patties similar to traditional Hanukkah potato latkes, or our favorite Leftover Mashed Potato Patties. As much as I love the idea of crispy zucchini, whether in the form of patties or baked zucchini fries, these pancakes are actually a variation of our usual Sunday morning fare, subbing grated zucchini for berries.
If your family claims to be “allergic” to zucchini, don’t be deterred. Like many baked goods that star summer’s favorite squash, these pancakes don’t have a strong zucchini taste. Unless your family spots the green flecks, they’ll likely have no clue that the pancakes are veggie-filled.
That is, until you do the obnoxious “Woohoo! You ate zucchini and loved it!” happy dance. Then the jig is up.
As with all of my pancake recipes, I used whole wheat pastry flour, both for the extra fiber and the texture. It’s not nearly as dense as most regular whole wheat flours, so produces a lighter product. If you can’t find whole wheat pastry flour, you could substitute a half-and-half mixture of regular whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour (nutritional information would be altered slightly if you do so).
Drizzle on the maple syrup and chopped nuts, and you’re ready to go for an easy, healthy breakfast or dinner.
[Tweet “Veggie-fy your breakfast w/Whole Wheat Zucchini Pancakes from @cookincanuck. https://www.cookincanuck.com/2015/07/whole-wheat-zucchini-pancakes-recipe”]
Other healthy zucchini recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Baked Zucchini Fries with Pesto Yogurt Dipping Sauce
Cookin’ Canuck’s Sautéed Zucchini, Corn & Blistered Tomatoes
Peas & Crayons’ One-Pot Spiralized Zucchini Noodle Soup
FreshPlates’ Summer Citrus Zucchini Noodles with Avocado & Apricot
Maria Ushakova’s Zucchini Tabbouleh
Whole Wheat Zucchini Pancakes Recipe
|Serving Size||2 pancakes ||
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 57kcal Calories from fat 6|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
"Veggie-fy" your morning pancakes with these light and fluffy whole wheat zucchini pancakes. They're a snap to make!
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and maple syrup.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in the grated zucchini.
- Heat a nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat, or heat a griddle to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat the skillet with cooking spray.
- Using a ¼-cup measuring cup, scoop the batter into the skillet, a few pancakes at a time. When the pancakes start to bubble on top, flip them over and cook until the pancakes are cooked through all the way.
- Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve the pancakes with maple syrup and fresh fruit, if desired.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!