15 minute meal! Baked cod with olive tapenade is one of the easiest, healthiest meals in my recipe arsenal. Plus, it’s inexpensive to make. It’s a win-win-win! 164 calories & 2 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
Baked cod is one of those meals that I used to avoid because I thought it was kind of boring. That is, until I realized that the mild tasting fish is a fantastic canvas of variety of flavors. Balsamic Baked Cod with Peppers is made at least once a month around here, but now this olive tapenade version may be edging out that recipe as the new favorite.
This is truly one of the easiest recipes you’ll make. Place cod on a baking sheet, top it with tapenade, tomatoes and breadcrumbs, and bake. It’s that simple! Serve it up with some Boiled Cilantro Lime Potatoes and an easy kale salad to round out the meal.
How to bake cod:
- For easy clean-up, I prefer to bake fish on a lined baking sheet. I typically turn to parchment paper (affiliate link), but foil also works.
- As an alternative to using a baking sheet, bake the cod in a glass baking dish (affiliate) or a ceramic baking dish.
- On average, cod takes about 10 minutes to bake, but it really depends on the thickness of the fillets. Thick fillets take longer, thinner ones cook a little faster.
- When cooked through, the cod should be opaque in the center and should flake easily.
- My favorite tricks for telling if fish is cooked: Insert a small, sharp knife into the center of the fillet and hold it there for 10 seconds. Remove the knife and carefully place the side of the tip on the inside of your wrist or on your upper lip. If it’s hot, the fish is done. Works every time!
Is cod healthy?
- Cod is a good source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids and is especially rich in lean protein and vitamin B-12. On the downside, some types of cod contain high amounts of sodium, and it’s a moderate source of mercury. Typically, frozen cod is higher in sodium and fresh cod contains minimal amounts.
- When choosing fish for my family to eat, I like to check the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch site for sustainability ratings. Check here for the ratings for different sources of cod./li>
Tips for making this baked cod recipe:
- Start by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. If using foil, lightly coat it with cooking spray. No need to do this with parchment paper.
- It doesn’t matter what size your cod fillets are. Once they’re baked, you’ll be cutting them into four equal pieces for serving. If you prefer to do this before cooking, go for it! Either way works.
- In the spirit of making a quick and easy weeknight meal, I used store-bought tapenade from Trader Joe’s. Of course, homemade olive tapenade would be a great option, too! The nutritional information in the recipe below uses the Trader Joe’s tapenade specs: 1/4 cup serving contains 70 calories, 7 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 450mg sodium, 2 grams carbs, less than 1 gram fiber, 0 grams sugar and 0 grams protein.
- Divide the tapenade evenly between the cod fillets, then top each with tomato slices and panko breadcrumbs.
- I prefer to use whole wheat panko breadcrumbs (you can buy them here – affiliate link), but regular panko works, too.
Other quick and easy dinner recipes:
Baked Cod with Olive Tapenade & Tomatoes
15 minute meal! Baked cod with olive tapenade is one of the easiest, healthiest meals in my recipe arsenal. Plus, it's inexpensive to make. It's a win-win-win! 164 calories & 2 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
- 1 lb. cod fillets
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 5 tbsp store-bought olive tapenade (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 1 ½ medium tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 3 tbsp whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil. If using foil, lightly coat it with cooking spray.
- Place the cod fillets on the prepared baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the olive tapenade on the cod fillets. Top with tomato slices, then sprinkle with the panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake until the cod is just cooked through, 9 to 10 minutes (see tip in post). Divide into 4 even pieces. Garnish with parsley. Serve.
Weight Watchers Points: 2 (Freestyle SmartPoints), 4 (Points+)
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.