These easy beet, goat cheese and pistachios phyllo cup appetizers are filled with all of the flavors of fall and are perfect for entertaining! Thank you to Athens Foods for helping me share this recipe with you.
When the holiday months approach, our minds become a swirling mass of recipes…turkey, gravy, sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. It’s all we can think of as when it comes to cooking. For those of us in the U.S., Thanksgiving reigns supreme in November and it’s a wonder that we manage to get any other meals on the table.
I’m sure our family is not alone in being feast-focused on the actual day, which means that the other meals tend to get neglected. And unless the appetizers are really simple, such as Mini Hummus & Roasted Pepper Phyllo Bites or Sun-Dried Tomato & Dill Dip, they just don’t happen.
Attempting an appetizer with beets, a seasonal autumn veggie, may seem ambitious, but I promise that it couldn’t be easier, particularly if you cook and chop the beets the day before. Just scrub the beets and cut off the greens, then toss the beets into a pan of water, simmering for about 25 minutes, or until the beets are fork tender. Seriously, that’s it.
Assembling the appetizers from there is even easier, particularly if you keep fillo shells on hand. I keep several boxes of Athens Mini Fillo Shells in our freezer throughout the year, but they really come in handy during the season of all-thing-entertaining-and-cocktail-parties.
Each time I use these mini fillo shells, my friends ask me if they need to be cooked in the oven. The beauty of the shells is that they are pre-cooked. Yes, you can bake them as part of hot appetizers, such as Mini Chili Filled Phyllo Cups, but I often use them for room temperature hors d’oeuvres, such as Mini Sherry Shrimp & Tarragon Phyllo Bites. When you remove the boxes from the freezer, set them on the counter for 10 minutes and the shells will be ready to use.
Gently press a small scoop of soft goat cheese (chevre) into the bottom of each shell, then top with the dressed beets and chopped pistachios for a tangy and sweet treat, with a great mixture of crunchy and soft textures.
Other healthy appetizer recipes:
Mini Hummus & Roasted Pepper Phyllo Bites
Cinnamon Apple & Goat Cheese Crostini
Mini Beet, Goat Cheese & Pistachio Phyllo Cups Recipe
- 2 small beets scrubbed & stalks removed
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 30 Athens Mini Fillo Shells 2 boxes, defrosted
- 2 ½ ounces soft goat cheese chevre
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios finely chopped
- Place the beets in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water (water be about 2 inches higher than the beets). Bring to a simmer and cook until the beets are tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes.
- Remove the beets from saucepan, let cool slightly, then peel. Cut the beets into ½-inch dice and transfer to a bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil and agave nectar. Pour over the beets and stir to combine.
- Fill each fillo shell with ½ teaspoon goat cheese. Gently press the goat cheese into bottom of each shell.
- Divide the beet mixture evenly between the filled fillo shells. Sprinkle the chopped pistachios over the beets. Serve.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Athens Foods. All opinions are my own. This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!
Can I use feta if I don't have goat cheese?
Yes, feta is a great substitute!
What a fun idea to do with mini phyllo cups! We don't cook with beet nearly enough.