This baked egg breakfast casserole is packed with broccoli and feta cheese. It’s perfect for breakfast or dinner and has an easy make-ahead option.
There are just a handful of recipes that can stand up to a tall order with the greatest of ease. If I say healthy, easy, vegetarian, feeds a crowd, can be reheated and has a make-ahead option, how many recipes can you think of in 30 seconds or less? Maybe this soup, this curry or these enchiladas.
When I think of make-ahead breakfast recipes for the holidays, or even during the week, inevitably a baked egg breakfast casserole springs to mind. Many variations of baked eggs have come out of my kitchen over the years, from Make-Ahead Baked Eggs with Bacon, Mushrooms & Sage to a baked egg casserole with a southwester flair. But this one, with broccoli and feta cheese may be the easiest one of all.
If you can boil water and turn on the oven, you can make this baked egg breakfast casserole. It’s that easy. After blanching the broccoli in boiling water for 2 minutes and whisking some eggs with a few seasonings, everything is arranged together in a casserole dish and baked for 20 minutes. Cut and serve…voila!
If you know that the morning is going to be busy – say, opening Christmas presents or even wrangling the kids before school – execute a few make-ahead steps (blanching the broccoli and whisking the eggs) the night before. Twenty minutes before serving time, transfer everything to a baking dish and cook the casserole until set.
The beauty of egg casseroles is that they’re amenable to change, allowing you to substitute in other vegetables or cheeses that you suit your fancy. If your family prefers some sort of breakfast meat, slip in some turkey sausages or a bit of crumbled bacon. The casserole is your palette…create to your heart’s desire!
Other healthy breakfast recipes:
Baked Egg, Broccoli & Feta Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 7- by 11-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the broccoli from cooking further. Transfer the broccoli to the prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, water, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the broccoli and sprinkle the feta cheese over top.
- Bake until the casserole is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cut into 6 pieces. Serve.