Straight from Skinnytaste's new cookbook, this Blackened Air Fryer Salmon recipe, topped off with a fresh cucumber-avocado salsa, has the perfect texture & just the right amount of heat. 340 calories and 3 Weight Watchers SP
This Blackened Air Fryer Salmon recipe is a new weeknight favorite around here! An Air Fryer, you say? Not another appliance. Believe me, I get it. When I first bought my Instant Pot, I swore that it would be the last large kitchen appliance I bought and even reprimanded myself for adding another appliance to my collection. That is, until I started using it at least a couple of times per week for Instant Pot soups, stews and other dishes.
But then the Air Fryers starting showing up on the scene. I shielded my eyes and pretended I didn't see the gorgeously crisp fries, chicken and churros coming out of my fellow bloggers' kitchens, using only the tiniest amounts of oil. Well, fast forward a year and consider me smitten. This machine is magic!
My friend Gina of the popular blog, Skinnytaste, has come out with a new cookbook - The Skinnytaste Air Fryer Cookbook (affiliate link). The cookbook is filled with gorgeous photos and, most importantly, 75 healthy recipes that are doable for even the most novice air frying cook. It has everything from breakfast dishes (homemade bagels, anyone?) to entrées (Parmesan-Crusted Turkey Cutlets are next on my list) and desserts (I have my eye on the Baked Streusel Apples).
Oh yeah, and Gina has even come out with her own Air Fryer that can purchased from Amazon (scroll down to learn more).
What you need for this air fryer salmon recipe:
These are the main components for this recipe (including affiliate links)…
- Salmon: You will need about 1 ½ pounds of salmon fillets, but into four pieces. Whenever possible, I buy wild salmon fillets - around here, that's usually sockeye or coho salmon. Keep the skin on while cooking the salmon, then just cut the meat off of the skin while eating and set the skin aside.
- Spices: The rub for the blackened salmon is a mixture of sweet paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano, dried thyme, kosher salt and ground pepper.
- Olive oil spray: Lightly spray the salmon all over with the olive oil spray before rubbing on the spice mixture.
- Salsa ingredients: This simple salsa is a combination of avocado, Persian (mini) cucumbers, red onion, fresh lemon juice (lime juice or even white wine vinegar can be used in a pinch), extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. My friendly neighborhood Trader Joe's carries Persian cucumbers, but if you aren't able to put your hands on some, use English cucumbers instead. Don't peel them before dicing.
Which air fryer should I buy?
- Truth be told, the only air fryer I've used is the Skinnytaste by Vremi Air Fryer (affiliate link). However, what I can tell you is this. I've made five very different types of recipes in this air fryer - this blackened salmon, onion rings, sweet potato fries, Skinnytaste's Air Fryer Asian-Glazed Boneless Chicken Thighs and blueberry muffins - and had nothing but stellar results. The directions are easy to follow and the air fryer produces really consistent results.
What to serve with blackened salmon:
This is a really versatile recipe and pairs well with a variety of side dishes. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Grains: Cilantro brown rice or Quinoa, Avocado & Blueberry Salad
- Potatoes: Boiled Cilantro Lime Potatoes, Coconut Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes or Sweet Potato Fries (these fries could be made in the air fryer, too).
- Salads: Black Bean & Corn Salad (one of my favorite sides for this salmon), Mediterranean Grated Cauliflower Salad or a simple green salad.
Other healthy salmon recipes:
Blackened Air Fryer Salmon with Cucumber-Avocado Salsa
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, salt and black pepper.
- Spray both sides fo the fish with oil and rub all over. Coat the fish all over with the spices.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Working in batches, arrange the salmon fillets skin side down in the air fryer basket.
- Cook until the fish flakes easily with a fork, 5 to 7 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. (For a toaster oven-style air fryer, the temperature and timing remain the same.)
- Serve topped with the salsa.
- In a medium bowl, combine the red onion, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Let stand for 5 minutes, then add the cucumbers and avocado.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.