Jan 1
2013

Recipes for Health & Weight Loss in 2013, & A New Feature

Recipes for Health & Weight Loss in 2013 by Cookin' Canuck
Healthy and satisfying recipes from Cookin’ Canuck and some of my favorite blogs.

There’s nothing like the turn of the new year to inspire us to revamp our menus, our closets and our crazy schedules. Whether or not you are one to write a formal list of New Year’s resolutions, you may still be inspired to re-think your recipes, gearing your meals towards healthy eating, and even weight loss. If you read my blog regularly, you probably know that I went through my own weight loss and exercise journey over the past year, resulting in a loss of 30 pounds (see before & after photos) and a trip across a marathon finish line (read about the good, the bad and the ugly of the race).

Am I suggesting that you run a marathon and embark on a major weight loss journey? Nope. But I would love to show you just how good healthy eating can be. It doesn’t need to be about deprivation. It can be about a celebration of fresh, flavorful food that makes your body feel good and helps to boost your energy level. I gathered together some of my favorite healthy recipes of 2012 from my site, as well as recipes from some of my favorite blogs around the web.

For more recipes ideas, check out round-ups from previous years:
Recipes for Good Health & Weight Loss in 2012
New Year’s Recipes for Good Health in 2011
New Year’s Recipes for Weight Loss & Healthy Living in 2010

New feature:

At the request of many readers, I will be providing the nutritional information for each of my recipes…even the holiday treats (scary, I know). While I believe in eating everything in moderation, I know that many people are teaching themselves about portion control by tallying calories or Weight Watchers’ points. I hope this new feature will make that quest a little easier for you. If counting calories isn’t your thing, just look away from that section and enjoy the recipes “as is”!

Now let’s get down to business…

Appetizers:

Grilled Mushrooms with Smoked Paprika & Chive Dipping Sauce Recipe

Cookin’ Canuck’s Southwestern Stuffed Mushroom with Black Beans, Brown Rice & Red Pepper
Cookin’ Canuck’s Grilled Mushrooms with Smoked Paprika & Chive Dipping Sauce
Cookin’ Canuck’s Roasted Eggplant with Almond Butter Coconut Sauce
Cookin’ Canuck’s Creamy Curry Hummus
Cookin’ Canuck’s Roasted Shrimp with Rosemary, Garlic & Lemon
Skinnytaste’s Bangin’ Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Reluctant Entertainer’s Roasted Red Grapes & Rosemary Appetizer
Food Wandering’s Burnt Eggplant with Garlic, Lemon & Pomegranate Seeds
Closet Cooking’s Grilled Lemongrass Chicken
Healthy Green Kitchen’s Guacamole with Pistachios

Breakfast:

Southwestern Breakfast Quesadilla Recipe with Eggs, Black Beans & Salsa

Cookin’ Canuck’s Southwestern Eggs Benedict with Black Bean Spread, Avocado & Salsa
Cookin’ Canuck’s Sweet Potato Hash with Canadian Bacon, Red Pepper & Sage
Cookin’ Canuck’s Whole Wheat Pancakes with Ginger & Berries
Cookin’ Canuck’s Southwestern Breakfast Quesadilla with Eggs, Black Beans & Salsa
Cookin’ Canuck’s Easy Mushroom & Sun-Dried Tomato Omelet
Cookin’ Canuck’s Baked Egg Breakfast Casserole with Mushrooms, Spinach & Salsa
Cookin’ Canuck’s Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Latte Muffins
Family Fresh Cooking’s Blueberry-Coconut Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal
Dinners, Dishes & Desserts’ Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie
All Day I Dream About Food’s Low Carb Carrot Cake Pancakes (go easy on the frosting)
Rachel Cooks’ Blueberry Wheat Bran Muffins

Snacks:

Low Fat Granola Bars with Bananas, Cranberries & Pecans Recipe

Cookin’ Canuck’s Low-Fat Granola Bars with Bananas, Cranberries & Pecans
Cookin’ Canuck’s Baked French Fries with Indian Spices (Cumin & Coriander)
Cookin’ Canuck’s Peanut Butter & Banana Whole Wheat Quick Bread
What’s Gaby Cooking’s Homemade Chipotle Salsa
Savory Sweet Life’s Spicy Baked FLaxseed Tortilla Chips
With Style and Grace’s Homemade Awesome Trail Mix
Foodie with Family’s Sweet Corn & Black Bean Salsa
Miss in the Kitchen’s Whole Wheat Focaccia Bread

Soups:

Fisherman's Soup Recipe with Tilapia, Shrimp, Tomatoes & Capers

Cookin’ Canuck’s Lean Bison & Barley Soup with Green Peas
Cookin’ Canuck’s Fisherman’s Soup with Tilapia, Shrimp, Tomatoes & Capers
Cookin’ Canuck’s Healthy Mushroom, Orzo & Swiss Chard Soup
Cookin’ Canuck’s Chilled Avocado Soup with Coconut Milk
The Perfect Pantry’s Butternut Squash, Peanut & Chipotle Soup
Pressure Cooking Today’s Chicken Tomatillo Soup
Creative Culinary’s Butternut Squash Soup with Yukon Gold Potatoes & Anaheim Peppers
Verses From My Kitchen’s Red Lentil & Vegetable Soup
Sippity Sup’s Carrot & Coriander Root Soup
Ingredients, Inc.’s Tortilla Soup

Entrees:

Beef, Lamb & Bison:

Greek Grilled Lamb Chops Recipe with Tomato, Cucumber & Kalamata Olive Salad

Cookin’ Canuck’s Greek Grilled Lamb Chops with Tomato, Cucumber & Kalamata Salad
Cookin’ Canuck’s Grilled Flank Steak Salad with Smoked Paprika Dressing
Cookin’ Canuck’s Grilled Marinated Tri-Tip Steak with Red Pepper Cilantro Pesto
Kalyn’s Kitchen’s Ground Beef Gyro Meatball Lettuce Wraps with Tzatziki & Tomatoes
The Little Kitchen’s Garlic Beef, Broccoli & Cauliflower Stir-Fry
Skinnytaste’s Skinny Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Guilty Kitchen’s Kale & Bison Roll-Ups

Pork:

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry Orange Relish by Cookin' Canuck

Cookin’ Canuck’s Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry Orange Relish
Two Peas and Their Pod’s Grilled Honey Mustard Pork Tenderloin
Simply Recipes’ Pork and Poblano Stew

Poultry:

Thai Chicken Naan Pizza Recipe with Peanut Sauce, Red Pepper & Carrots

Cookin’ Canuck’s Thai Chicken Naan Pizza with Peanut Sauce, Red Pepper & Carrots
Cookin’ Canuck’s Asian Quesadillas with Chicken, Zucchini & Hoisin Sauce
Cookin’ Canuck’s Spicy Chicken Thighs with Cucumber Avocado Salsa
Cookin’ Canuck’s Easy Turkey & Broccoli Lettuce Wraps with Chinese Black Bean Sauce
Cookin’ Canuck’s Slow Cooker Hoisin Shredded Chicken Sandwich with Asian Slaw
White on Rice Couple’s Baked Spaghetti Squash with Turkey & Sriracha
Taste and Tell’s BBQ Chicken & Vegetables (Slow Cooker)
Everyday Southwest’s Southwest Grilled Chicken Spring Roll

Cheeky Kitchen’s Summer Avocado Toast
Savory Simple’s Sweet & Spicy Asian Tofu
Prevention RD’s Black Bean & Quinoa Veggie Burgers

Salads:

Mexican Slaw Recipe with Mango, Avocado & Cumin Dressing for Cinco de Mayo

Cookin’ Canuck’s Mexican Slaw with Mango, Avocado & Cumin Dressing
Cookin’ Canuck’s Greek Potato Salad with Feta Cheese, Kalamata Olives & Oregano Dressing
Cookin’ Canuck’s Quinoa Salad with Apple, Chickpeas, Toasted Almonds & Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Cookin’ Canuck’s Salad with Broccoli, Dried Cherry, White Beans, Sunflower Seeds & Creamy Basil Dressing
A Farmgirl’s Dabbles’ Moroccan Orange Couscous
Mountain Mama Cooks’ Waldorf Inspired Kale Salad
Oh Sweet Basil’s Christmas Salad with Blood Oranges
Cafe Johnsonia’s Citrus Salad with Lemon Mint & Honey
The Lemon Bowl’s Brown Rice Greek Salad
Foodness Gracious’ Roasted Beets with Roquefort and Pecans
A Communal Table’s Mustard Greens with White Wine Vinaigrette & Homemade Croutons
Project Domestication’s Roasted Grapes with Cashews, Quinoa & Thyme over Escarole Greens

Pasta:

Leftover Turkey (or Chicken) Lasagna Roll Recipe with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Spinach {Low Fat}

Cookin’ Canuck’s Leftover Turkey (or Chicken) Lasagne Rolls with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Spinach
Cookin’ Canuck’s Healthy Lasagne with Turkey, Pesto & Peppers
Cookin’ Canuck’s Whole Wheat Pasta Salad with Salmon, Tomatoes & Herb Dressing
Cookin’ Canuck’s Chicken Pasta Salad with Plums, Feta & Cumin Dressing
Aggie’s Kitchen’s Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Roasted Peppers & Eggplant
Foodiecrush’s Pasta with Marinated Tomatoes (use whole wheat pasta)
La Fujimama’s Japanese Chille Somen Noodles

Side Dishes:

Spaghetti Squash with Swiss Chard, Dried Cranberries & Dijon Vinaigrette Recipe

Cookin’ Canuck’s Spaghetti Squash with Swiss Chard, Dried Cranberries & Dijon Vinaigrette
Cookin’ Canuck’s Roasted Asparagus with Miso Lime Dressing
Cookin’ Canuck’s Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Chinese Five-Spice Powder
Cookin’ Canuck’s Fresh Green Beans with Bacon, Mushrooms & Herbs
Cookin’ Canuck’s Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese Breadcrumbs
Jeanette’s Healthy Living’s Easy Crockpot Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Life’s a Feast’s Summer Vegetable Ratatouille
Country Cleaver’s Balsamic Roasted Root Vegetables

Desserts:

Light(er) No-Bake Cookies Recipe with Dulce de Leche & Oatmeal

Cookin’ Canuck’s Light(er) No-Bake Cookies with Dulce de Leche, Sea Salt & Oatmeal
Add a Pinch’s Fruit Salad Recipe (go easy on the whipped cream)
Gourmande in the Kitchen’s Stone Fruit in Lemon Thyme Syrup

Happy New Year and good health to you and your family!

1 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl January 1, 2013 at 6:02 am

Love that you be providing nutritional information for all recipes!! I do the same and I know my readers appreciate it. And, as a calorie counter myself, I’m excited to have another blog making it easy for me! Happy 2013!!

2 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 1, 2013 at 9:19 am

Thanks, Liz. I’m hoping that it will be a useful tool for many of my readers. Happy New Year to you!

3 traci January 1, 2013 at 6:56 am

Thank you, thank you THANK YOU! For including nutrition facts. With a husband with type 1 diabetes i have to figure out the carbs for every meal i make. This will make it to much easier. I hope to one day be able to do this on my blog too so a blog post tutorial from you on how to figure out the nutrition facts would be great. :) you are amazing and i love your recipes. Looking forward to more in 2013!

4 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 1, 2013 at 9:20 am

Traci, I’m so glad to hear that it will be helpful for you. I’ll definitely consider doing a tutorial as well. Thank you for the suggestion. Happy New Year!

5 Cassie Sue January 2, 2013 at 7:01 am

Daughter is type 1 and I was thinking the same thing! :)

6 Erin @ Texanerin Baking January 1, 2013 at 7:55 am

What a great round-up! And I just now noticed this, but your pictures are really colorful. They just pop. Especially with the blue plate!

The lasagna rolls look incredible. As does everything else. :)

7 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 1, 2013 at 9:20 am

Thanks so much, Erin. Yes, I love that blue plate. It makes everything look good! :)

Happy New Year!

8 Aggie January 1, 2013 at 8:53 am

Wishing you a happy and healthy new year Dara! You have been such an inspiration to me! Wonderful recipes to look through here!!

And I love the new feature :)

9 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) January 1, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thank you so much, Aggie! I hope 2013 is a wonderful year for you…and I hope we get the chance to see each other again very soon.

10 Barbara @ Barbara Bakes January 1, 2013 at 9:50 am

So many great options for eating healthy. I need to do better this year. Thanks for the link love. Happy New Year! Hope to see you soon.

11 Joanne @ Fifteen Spatulas January 1, 2013 at 9:55 am

Oh you’re brave! I’m too scared to count the calories for some of my recipes, though I am probably going to start. Counting calories was one of the two times I actually lost weight, even though it takes diligence to always write and measure everything. Cheers to a great 2013!

12 Rachel Cooks January 1, 2013 at 11:52 am

What a fantastic list! Bookmarked it–I’m sure it will be helpful in shedding the baby weight! Thanks for including my muffins–I’m honored!

13 Denise @ Creative Kitchen January 1, 2013 at 11:58 am

Happy New Year Dara! I love your new feature…I’ve been contemplating add calorie count, nutritional info as well. I think I’ve only done it for one recipe, but now that I am getting back to using My Fitness Pal, I need to figure them out for myself also. Is there a plug in you’ll be using? So far I just add my ingredients to a recipe builder calorie count calculator I found online and it gives me the info…then I transfer to the blog post.

Thanks for compiling all these healthy recipes in one post. So many great ones to meal plan this month with. ;)

14 Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 1, 2013 at 12:57 pm

What a great round-up, I love that you show us eating healthy can still be flavorful and delicious!

15 Kalyn January 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm

What a great assortment of healthy looking recipes, and thanks for including one of mine. Hope you have a great year in 2013!

16 Carolyn January 1, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Great round-up, Dara and just what many people are looking for at the start of a new year. Thanks for including my pancakes! Hope 2013 is off to a great start for you.

17 Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen January 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm

You are so inspiring! You food is always gorgeous and you make me want to eat healthier (it’s a challenge for me) and it made my day for you include my whole wheat focaccia bread! Happy New Year!

18 megan @ whatmegansmaking January 1, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Sounds like a great new feature! Definitely what I need right about now – I’m scared to do the same for my own recipes!

19 Jen @ Savory Simple January 1, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Perfect timing for me!

20 Kari January 1, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Thanks for this great roundup! I will be re-visiting it often for new ideas.

21 Lori @ RecipeGirl January 2, 2013 at 7:40 am

Excellent idea! I provide nutritional info. for some of my recipes– the ones that are health conscious and the ones that you want to know… there are some that you don’t want to know! Nice feature to add in 2013!

22 Courtney @ Neighborfood January 2, 2013 at 8:32 am

What a great list! That Chicken Thai Naan Pizza and the Grilled Mushrooms have my name written all over them. Thanks for the inspiration…you just made my menu planning waaaaay easier!

23 carrian January 2, 2013 at 10:36 am

This is fantastic, Dara! Love all of these ideas. I’m pinning it for future reference.

24 Rebecca {Foodie with Family} January 2, 2013 at 11:49 am

What a great reference this round-up is, Dara! Thanks for including one of my recipes in it. I can’t wait to cook my way through the whole list!

25 Choclette January 2, 2013 at 1:37 pm

So many wonderful looking healthy dishes, you make healthy eating look so easy Dara. Your blog is looking fantastic, it’s been a long time since I visited. Happy New Year.

26 Donna January 2, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I am so happy I stopped by your blog today – this post reminds me why I love your blog so much. Your passion not just for food, but for LIFE really comes through. Beautiful, flavorful, creative food and an author I admire – What more could I ask for in a food blog? Happy 2013 to you, Dara – may you live and blog FOREVER.

27 JulieD January 2, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Love love this round-up, Dara!! Thank you for including my stir fry too! It’s Curtis’ favorite! Hope your 2013 is tastier and healthier than 2012 and that we get to see each other againnnn!

28 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts January 2, 2013 at 8:44 pm

What a great round up – Everything sounds so good! I completely agree, eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring. Just look at this list! That Thai pizza will be made here soon.

29 Kelsey January 3, 2013 at 11:03 am

What a great compilation of dishes to start 2013 out right. Thanks!

30 Tina | My Life as a Mrs January 4, 2013 at 5:53 am

YUM! These all look delicious!!! Happy New Year lady! :)

31 Jamie January 7, 2013 at 12:52 am

Thanks for the shout out! And thanks for the list of links. Since the summer and the time we spent renovating the new apartment, the move, the settling in I have totally gone off my healthy diet and my exercise regime and swore to myself I would get back to both. It is not that easy! Your list of great healthy recipes will definitely help! Wishing you a wonderful and healthy 2013!!

32 improve health April 7, 2013 at 5:57 am

We absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your post’s to be exactly I’m looking for.
Does one offer guest writers to write content to suit
your needs? I wouldn’t mind creating a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write related to here. Again, awesome weblog!

33 Tanya R. Eller June 27, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Wow! Thanks for sharing this post! Now I love your blog! Healthy living has always been a part of me, which is why I always see to myself to get the best weight loss recipes.

34 seitan in peppercorn sauce November 5, 2013 at 5:18 am

Hi, I read your new stuff daily. Your writing style is awesome, keep doing what
you’re doing!

35 weight loss diet December 12, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Hi it’s me, I am also visiting this web site daily,
this site is truly fastidious and the people are in fact sharing
good thoughts.

36 how to lose thigh fat for women at home fast December 25, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Their online “Target Heart Rate Zone” Calculator will help you determine your exact heart rate zones so that you know where you need
to be for each and every workout. You then squat downwards,
keeping your back straight, until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
It is especially useful in rheumatic and nueralgic cases,and in congestive cases.

37 Dawn February 17, 2014 at 11:38 am

Lovely pictures they make me want to pop into the kitchen and try them all. I think it’s a very good idea to add the nutrition in each recipe and I’m sure this will help a lot of people like me.

Thanks Dara and congrats on losing all that weight – well done!

Dawn

38 gun-controltaskforce.org April 1, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. Such clever work
and coverage! Keep up the superb works guys I’ve included you guys
to my own blogroll.